- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 600g chicken thigh fillets, well trimmed and sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red capsicum, cut into 2cm squares
- 425g can diced tomatoes
- ½cup chopped mixed fresh basil and parsley
- Pinch sugar
- 375g penette (small penne)
- Freshly grated parmesan and extra herbs, to serve
- Grated zest and juice of 1⁄2 lemon
- ¼ cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over moderate heat. Cook chicken, in 2 batches, for 5 minutes, stirring until browned. Remove; drain on paper towels. Drain excess oil from pan.
2. Add onion to pan; cook for 5 minutes until golden. Add capsicum; cook 5 minutes more. Stir in tomatoes, ½ cup water, herbs and sugar; season with salt and black pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes. Return chicken to pan. Cover; simmer gently 5 minutes until tender.
3. Meanwhile, cook pasta in plenty of boiling, salted water for 8 minutes until tender but still firm to the bite. Drain well. Stir through chicken mixture. Sprinkle servings with parmesan and extra herbs.
TIPS: Take the time to simmer slowly to develop flavour in the sauce.