Scientists confirm five-second ruleYou don't need to be afraid to pick certain foods up off the floor, as long as you do it quickly.
Cut sugar to five percent of daily calories: World Health OrganisationThe World Health Organisation has changed recommendations to suggest we cut sugar to just five percent of daily calories.
Atkins style diets may shorten lifespansHigh protein diets are all the rage, but a recent study has suggested that they are not necessarily beneficial to our long term health.
Neil Perry’s classic fried rice
- 555 g (1 lb 4 oz/3 cups) cooked rice
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 large green king prawns (shrimp), peeled, deveined and roughly chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped ginger
- 150 g (5 1/2 oz) Chinese-style barbecue pork, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon yellow bean soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 spring onions (scallions), cut into julienne
- a pinch of freshly ground white pepper
- You too can become a 'Star chef' by helping Neil and many others raise funds for the Starlight Children’s Foundation. Neil Perry is an ambassador of Serving up Smiles.
Heat a wok until just smoking. Add 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil and, when hot, stir-fry the prawns until just cooked, then remove.
Reheat the wok, add the eggs and move them around the wok gently until just set.
Turn the egg out onto a plate and roughly chop with your wok spoon.
Wipe the wok clean and reheat with the remaining peanut oil until just smoking. Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry until fragrant, then add the pork and cook for 1 minute.
Add the rice and stir-fry for another minute, then return the prawns to the wok.
Add the soy sauces, sea salt, sugar, oyster sauce and sesame oil, and stir-fry until the rice is coated with sauce. Add the egg and spring onions and toss together.
Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with ground pepper to serve.
WATCH: Curtis Stone makes a simple aioli