Curtis Stone's winter vegetable minestrone
- 300g Coles Finest Angus beef sausages, casings removed, meat broken into large chunks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Coles Brand fennel seeds, lightly crushed
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled, cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 cups Coles Brand chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup (60g) Coles Brand shell pasta
- 1 cup Coles Brand canned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup (20g) shaved Mil Lel parmesan cheese
Heat a large heavy based saucepan over high heat. Once hot, add sausage and brown on all sides, about 4 minutes. Remove from the pan. Strain off any fat.
Add the oil and onion and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally until onion softens slightly. Add the garlic, fennel seeds and rosemary, cook for 1 minute.
Reduce heat to medium. Add the carrots and parsnips, and cook for 2-3 minutes until tender. Season with salt and pepper. Return the sausage to the pan.
Stir in the stock and water with a wooden spoon, and bring to the boil. Swirl back of a ladle over surface of soup, pushing any fat or foam to the edges.
Add the pasta and cook, stirring often, for about 9 minutes until pasta is al dente
and vegetables are tender. Remove the rosemary stem.
Gently stir in the beans and simmer for 2 minutes, until heated through.
Turn off heat and fold in the spinach.
Divide soup evenly among four serving bowls and serve with parmesan cheese.
Watch Curtis cooks a hearty chicken, noodle and cabbage soup
Al dente: Cook your pasta like the Italians doItalians eat their pasta al dente, which means a little hard on the tooth, this is important because it keeps the pasta at an appropriate texture. Pasta cooked al dente will taste great and not be...
Australian dieticians reject paleo diet as 'suspicious, impractical'While "paleo" remains a bit of a buzzword in foodie culture, the Dietitians Association of Australia has joined the ranks of professionals opposed to the diet saying the scientific evidence doesn't...
Kris Jenner set to release her own kookbook... er, cookbookThe list of Kardashian tie-in merchandise has grown even longer with news that celebrity momager Kris Jenner is releasing her very own recipe collection.