Entertain with ease this ChristmasAldi Christmas
The night before ChristmasChristmas at Aldi
Your perfect Christmas hamperChristmas at Aldi
Apple and blackberry pandowdy
- 4 each Granny Smith apples and pink lady apples, cut into eighths
- 300 gm caster sugar
- 150 gm frozen blackberries
- 40 gm plain flour
- Juice of 2 mandarins
- Finely grated rind of 1½ lemons
- For scattering: Demerara sugar or crushed sugar cubes
- To serve: pouring cream
- 250 gm (1 2/3 cup) plain flour
- 40 gm pure icing sugar, sieved
- Scraped seeds of 1 vanilla bean
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 140 gm cold butter, coarsely chopped
- 120 gm sour cream
Prep time 30 mins, cook 1 hr (plus resting, standing)
For sour cream pastry, process flour, sugar, vanilla seeds, rind and ½ tsp salt in a food processor to combine, add butter, pulse until small lumps of butter remain (30 seconds). Add sour cream, pulse to combine, turn onto a work surface, bring together with the heel of your hand, wrap in plastic wrap, refrigerate to rest (2 hours).
Preheat oven to 200C. Combine apples, sugar, blackberries, flour, juice and rind in a bowl, then transfer to a 24cm-diameter 5cm-deep pie dish.
Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface to 4mm thick. Brush edges of pie dish with water, place pastry over filling and press over rim of pie dish to seal, then trim edges with a sharp knife. Pierce a hole in centre of pastry, brush pastry with water, scatter with demerara sugar then bake until pastry is light golden and crisp (30-35 minutes). Remove from oven, break pastry into large pieces with a fork, press down into filling, then bake until filling bubbles up over pastry and pastry is golden brown (20-25 minutes). Stand for 15 minutes then serve with cream.