Quail with cherriesHere's an interesting fact: "quail" is actually the name for dozens of different species of birds as opposed to just one. I did not previously know that. I was surprised to find this out but then...
Beetroot and feta salad with crispy sageThere are few things more satisfying than getting your hands stained a bright fuchsia by the common garden beet. Almost every country in the world has their very own recipe for this earthy vegetable...
Kuku sabzi, the Persian omeletteThank the world that Middle Eastern food is starting to push its way in front of the monotonous burger and chicken wing takeaways that occupy every main street in the land. I'm not talking about...
Apple pie with rhubarb and strawberry sauce
- 1 x 600g bought frozen apple pie
- 500g (5 stalks) rhubarb, trimmed, cut in 2cm pieces
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 300g strawberries, fresh or frozen, halved
- Ice-cream, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 190°C/170°C fan forced. Bake pie for 40 minutes as packet directs.
2. Meanwhile, place rhubarb and zest in a medium saucepan. Add 2 tablespoons water. Bring to a brisk simmer over moderate heat. Reduce heat to low; cook for 10 minutes, until tender and saucy. Stir in sugar until dissolved. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and strawberries.
3. Serve warm pie in wedges with sauce and ice-cream.
To keep rhubarb crisp, discard leaves, wrap stalks in plastic wrap and store up to 1 week in the fridge.