Kuku sabzi, the Persian omeletteThank the world that Middle Eastern food is starting to push its way in front of the monotonous burger and chicken wing takeaways that occupy every main street in the land. I'm not talking about...
Bring back the quintessential Aussie burgerYou may have noticed that as the years go by, food is changing. The advent of processed food has only been around for roughly 75 years a mere speck of sand in the hourglass of food history....
Chocolate, coconut and banana breadGood old, ubiquitous banana bread. It's on every cafe menu from Toorak to Townsville and like most popular items, you can get some stellar ones and some truly diabolical ones. The price too, isn't...
Apple pie with rhubarb and strawberry sauce
- 1 x 600g bought frozen apple pie
- 500g (5 stalks) rhubarb, trimmed, cut in 2cm pieces
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 300g strawberries, fresh or frozen, halved
- Ice-cream, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 190°C/170°C fan forced. Bake pie for 40 minutes as packet directs.
2. Meanwhile, place rhubarb and zest in a medium saucepan. Add 2 tablespoons water. Bring to a brisk simmer over moderate heat. Reduce heat to low; cook for 10 minutes, until tender and saucy. Stir in sugar until dissolved. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and strawberries.
3. Serve warm pie in wedges with sauce and ice-cream.
To keep rhubarb crisp, discard leaves, wrap stalks in plastic wrap and store up to 1 week in the fridge.