Edible billboard touts virtue of cakeWe didn't need an ad to tell us "life is better with cake" but one artist's edible advertisement has convinced us marketing goes better with food.
Hummingbird porridgeNo-one will ever make porridge like my dad used to make it. I can't put my finger on it and goodness knows I have tried but since he joined the big butcher shop in the sky in the early '80s, I have...
Almond gazpacho with blue swimmer crab and grapesI recently spent some time in the wilds of Kangaroo Island, South Australia and given that it was the tail end of winter, the last thing I thought I would be eating is a beautifully smooth chilled...
Apple pie with rhubarb and strawberry sauce
- 1 x 600g bought frozen apple pie
- 500g (5 stalks) rhubarb, trimmed, cut in 2cm pieces
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 300g strawberries, fresh or frozen, halved
- Ice-cream, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 190°C/170°C fan forced. Bake pie for 40 minutes as packet directs.
2. Meanwhile, place rhubarb and zest in a medium saucepan. Add 2 tablespoons water. Bring to a brisk simmer over moderate heat. Reduce heat to low; cook for 10 minutes, until tender and saucy. Stir in sugar until dissolved. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and strawberries.
3. Serve warm pie in wedges with sauce and ice-cream.
To keep rhubarb crisp, discard leaves, wrap stalks in plastic wrap and store up to 1 week in the fridge.