- 3 bunches asparagus, trimmed
- 50g butter
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely slivered lemon zest
- Shaved parmesan, to serve
1. Bring a frying pan of water to the boil. Plunge asparagus into water. Cook for 2-3 minutes until tender but still bright green. Drain; refresh under cold water to maintain colour. Pat dry on paper towels. Arrange the asparagus in bundles on 6 serving plates.
2. Heat butter in a small saucepan over moderate heat. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until golden brown (watch carefully; it can burn quickly). Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in zest. Pour mixture over asparagus; sprinkle with cheese and freshly ground black pepper.
To adapt recipe for a beaut breakfast, top with a poached egg and serve with toast. Broccolini or thin, stringless green beans are also delicious with this. Use a zester to cut fine slivers of lemon rind.