Rustic bacon and egg pie with feta
3 stars - based on 5 reviews
- 30g butter
- 4 rashers rindless bacon, sliced
- 1 leek, trimmed, washed, sliced
- 7 eggs
- 300ml carton cream
- ½ cup feta, chopped
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
- 1¼ cups plain flour
- 125g cold butter, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C. Lightly grease a deep 23cm pie plate.
- PASTRY: Place flour and butter in a food processer. Pulse until fine crumbs form. Add water and pulse until a dough forms. Knead on a lightly floured surface into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill 20 minutes.
- Roll out pastry between two sheets of baking paper until 3mm thick. Ease into pie plate. Trim edges and chill 15 minutes.
- Bake blind 15 minutes. Remove paper and baking weights or dried beans. Bake a further 5 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large frying pan on medium. Saute bacon and leek 3-4 minutes, until leeks soften. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- In a large jug, whisk 4 eggs and cream together. Stir in feta and leek mixture. Season to taste. Pour into pastry case and sprinkle with tasty cheese.
- Break three eggs onto top of pie. Bake 35-40 minutes, until firm and golden. Serve with salad if liked.