How to trick your family into thinking you're a five-star chefWant the secret to rustling up amazing-tasting midweek meals without the stress? We asked leading chef and restaurateur Luke Mangan to tell us how.
The best pop-up dining in AustraliaTaking place in city laneways and beachside locations across Australia, the cool crowd can't get enough of the food and drink pop-up phenomenon. Now you can stay one step ahead of the culinary curve...
Quail with cherriesHere's an interesting fact: "quail" is actually the name for dozens of different species of birds as opposed to just one. I did not previously know that. I was surprised to find this out but then...
Baked bean, bacon & egg rolls
4 stars - based on 28 reviews
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 rashers rindless bacon, quartered
- 220g can baked beans
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 small eggs
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley, to serve
- Preheat grill to high. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Slice tops from rolls, one-quarter of the way down, and reserve. Scoop out centre and set aside (see tip).
- Heat oil in a small frying pan on high. Cook bacon for 1 minute each side, until crisp.
- Meanwhile, place beans and tomatoes in a medium microwave safe jug. Cook on high (100% power) for 1 minute, until bubbling, stirring once.
- Line each roll with 2 pieces bacon. Pour hot bean mixture evenly into rolls. Crack 1 egg into each. Cook, one at a time, in the microwave oven on high (100% power) for 45 seconds.
- Arrange on tray. Grill for 2 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over cut side of roll tops. Place on tray with rolls and grill for a further 2 minutes, until egg is set and cheese is melted. Serve rolls sprinkled with parsley. Use the cheesy lids for dipping.
- Place the soft centre of the rolls in a food processor and process to form crumbs. Freeze.
- Save on cooking time by replacing the bacon with sliced ham.