Quail with cherriesHere's an interesting fact: "quail" is actually the name for dozens of different species of birds as opposed to just one. I did not previously know that. I was surprised to find this out but then...
Beetroot and feta salad with crispy sageThere are few things more satisfying than getting your hands stained a bright fuchsia by the common garden beet. Almost every country in the world has their very own recipe for this earthy vegetable...
Kuku sabzi, the Persian omeletteThank the world that Middle Eastern food is starting to push its way in front of the monotonous burger and chicken wing takeaways that occupy every main street in the land. I'm not talking about...
Baked bean, bacon & egg rolls
4 stars - based on 28 reviews
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 rashers rindless bacon, quartered
- 220g can baked beans
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 small eggs
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley, to serve
- Preheat grill to high. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Slice tops from rolls, one-quarter of the way down, and reserve. Scoop out centre and set aside (see tip).
- Heat oil in a small frying pan on high. Cook bacon for 1 minute each side, until crisp.
- Meanwhile, place beans and tomatoes in a medium microwave safe jug. Cook on high (100% power) for 1 minute, until bubbling, stirring once.
- Line each roll with 2 pieces bacon. Pour hot bean mixture evenly into rolls. Crack 1 egg into each. Cook, one at a time, in the microwave oven on high (100% power) for 45 seconds.
- Arrange on tray. Grill for 2 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over cut side of roll tops. Place on tray with rolls and grill for a further 2 minutes, until egg is set and cheese is melted. Serve rolls sprinkled with parsley. Use the cheesy lids for dipping.
- Place the soft centre of the rolls in a food processor and process to form crumbs. Freeze.
- Save on cooking time by replacing the bacon with sliced ham.