Fruit and veg countdown to health and happinessIf you're confused about how much fruit and veg you should have in your diet, you've got good reason to be. There's plenty of professional advice out there and the advice is being applied to not just...
Sandwiches surprise major source of dietary saltIn something of a health warning for sanger lovers Down Under, US researchers have found Americans get as much as 46 percent of their recommended dietary intake of salt in sandwiches daily.
Juices with more sugar than Red Bull revealedJuice drinkers, if you think you're quenching your thirst with a healthy alternative to soft drink, prepare yourself for a sugary shock. Our survey of drinks confirms earlier research that some...
Bacon egg and spinach salad
- 2 thick slices vienna bread, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 short bacon rashers
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar of Modena
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain dijon mustard
- 50g baby spinach leaves, rinsed
- 2 eggs, poached or soft boiled
1. Preheat oven-grill to moderately hot. Toss bread cubes with 1 tablespoon of the oil; scatter on a baking tray. Grill, turning cubes occasionally, until golden. Set aside.
2. Place bacon on a grill rack; lightly brush with more oil. Grill, turning once, until crisp. Break into pieces.
3. Whisk remaining oil with vinegar and mustard; season with salt and black pepper. Toss spinach and bacon with a little dressing; divide between 2 serving plates. Top with croutons and eggs. Drizzle with remaining dressing. Serve at once.
Short bacon rashers are leaner than streaky bacon, better value for money, too. Keep an eye on the croutons; they toast quickly.