French cafe offers discount to polite customersThe proprieties of a cafe in the south of France have struck out against their countrymen's legendary rudeness.
Why millions are giving up diet drinksNutritionists are celebrating the news that diet soft drink sales have fallen by almost seven percent in the US this year.
Some brains hard-wired to love chocolateWondering why you can't say no to a slice of mud cake, but your friend can easily pass? It could be to do with how your brain is wired.
Bacon egg and spinach salad
- 2 thick slices vienna bread, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 short bacon rashers
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar of Modena
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain dijon mustard
- 50g baby spinach leaves, rinsed
- 2 eggs, poached or soft boiled
1. Preheat oven-grill to moderately hot. Toss bread cubes with 1 tablespoon of the oil; scatter on a baking tray. Grill, turning cubes occasionally, until golden. Set aside.
2. Place bacon on a grill rack; lightly brush with more oil. Grill, turning once, until crisp. Break into pieces.
3. Whisk remaining oil with vinegar and mustard; season with salt and black pepper. Toss spinach and bacon with a little dressing; divide between 2 serving plates. Top with croutons and eggs. Drizzle with remaining dressing. Serve at once.
Short bacon rashers are leaner than streaky bacon, better value for money, too. Keep an eye on the croutons; they toast quickly.