McDonald's burger served with hidden swastikaThere are a bunch of ways a visit to a fast-food restaurant can leave a bad taste in your mouth and race hate is now one of them. But rather than leave racist remarks on receipts a US McDonald's...
Cheeses saltier than seawater shamedA survey of salty cheeses has UK health groups comparing haloumi to seawater, in an effort to encourage the dairy industry to further reduce sodium content in their foods.
Man buys all the pies to spite unruly childA Canadian man has achieved restaurant hero status after telling his story about teaching a woman and her misbehaving child a lesson in fast-food etiquette. In this case, revenge is not a dish best...
Bacon egg and spinach salad
- 2 thick slices vienna bread, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 short bacon rashers
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar of Modena
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain dijon mustard
- 50g baby spinach leaves, rinsed
- 2 eggs, poached or soft boiled
1. Preheat oven-grill to moderately hot. Toss bread cubes with 1 tablespoon of the oil; scatter on a baking tray. Grill, turning cubes occasionally, until golden. Set aside.
2. Place bacon on a grill rack; lightly brush with more oil. Grill, turning once, until crisp. Break into pieces.
3. Whisk remaining oil with vinegar and mustard; season with salt and black pepper. Toss spinach and bacon with a little dressing; divide between 2 serving plates. Top with croutons and eggs. Drizzle with remaining dressing. Serve at once.
Short bacon rashers are leaner than streaky bacon, better value for money, too. Keep an eye on the croutons; they toast quickly.