Quail with cherriesHere's an interesting fact: "quail" is actually the name for dozens of different species of birds as opposed to just one. I did not previously know that. I was surprised to find this out but then...
Beetroot and feta salad with crispy sageThere are few things more satisfying than getting your hands stained a bright fuchsia by the common garden beet. Almost every country in the world has their very own recipe for this earthy vegetable...
Kuku sabzi, the Persian omeletteThank the world that Middle Eastern food is starting to push its way in front of the monotonous burger and chicken wing takeaways that occupy every main street in the land. I'm not talking about...
Bacon egg and spinach salad
- 2 thick slices vienna bread, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 short bacon rashers
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar of Modena
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain dijon mustard
- 50g baby spinach leaves, rinsed
- 2 eggs, poached or soft boiled
1. Preheat oven-grill to moderately hot. Toss bread cubes with 1 tablespoon of the oil; scatter on a baking tray. Grill, turning cubes occasionally, until golden. Set aside.
2. Place bacon on a grill rack; lightly brush with more oil. Grill, turning once, until crisp. Break into pieces.
3. Whisk remaining oil with vinegar and mustard; season with salt and black pepper. Toss spinach and bacon with a little dressing; divide between 2 serving plates. Top with croutons and eggs. Drizzle with remaining dressing. Serve at once.
Short bacon rashers are leaner than streaky bacon, better value for money, too. Keep an eye on the croutons; they toast quickly.