Bring back the quintessential Aussie burgerYou may have noticed that as the years go by, food is changing. The advent of processed food has only been around for roughly 75 years a mere speck of sand in the hourglass of food history....
Chocolate, coconut and banana breadGood old, ubiquitous banana bread. It's on every cafe menu from Toorak to Townsville and like most popular items, you can get some stellar ones and some truly diabolical ones. The price too, isn't...
Authentic fried riceI'm going to attempt to unravel the myth of cooking fried rice for you. Because we all know that the fried rice you get from the local take away can never be recreated at home. Or can it?
Bacon egg and spinach salad
- 2 thick slices vienna bread, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 short bacon rashers
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar of Modena
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain dijon mustard
- 50g baby spinach leaves, rinsed
- 2 eggs, poached or soft boiled
1. Preheat oven-grill to moderately hot. Toss bread cubes with 1 tablespoon of the oil; scatter on a baking tray. Grill, turning cubes occasionally, until golden. Set aside.
2. Place bacon on a grill rack; lightly brush with more oil. Grill, turning once, until crisp. Break into pieces.
3. Whisk remaining oil with vinegar and mustard; season with salt and black pepper. Toss spinach and bacon with a little dressing; divide between 2 serving plates. Top with croutons and eggs. Drizzle with remaining dressing. Serve at once.
Short bacon rashers are leaner than streaky bacon, better value for money, too. Keep an eye on the croutons; they toast quickly.