- 4 middle bacon rashers, rind removed
- 4 thick slices caraway rye bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 11⁄2 cups grated Jack cheese (or use vintage cheddar)
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- Gherkins and salad leaves, to serve (optional)
1. Preheat oven-grill to moderate. Halve rashers crosswise; place on grill tray; cook, turning once, until almost crisp. Drain on paper towels. Grill bread until pale golden on both sides.
2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a small non-stick saucepan over moderately low heat. Add cheese, mustard and Worcestershire to taste. Heat, stirring, until just melted and combined. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
3. Place bacon on toast. Spoon cheese mixture over bacon. Grill until bubbly. Serve at once with gherkins and salad.
Cheese on toast, with a twist. Look for caraway rye or dark grain breads at supermarkets and bakeries. Look for ‘Jack’ cheese at supermarkets; it’s mild and melts readily – great for open grills.