Banana almond cake
5 stars - based on 1 reviews
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cups gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup almond meal
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely grated
- 1 cup pure icing sugar
- 1½ tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to moderately slow, 160°C. Lightly grease and line a 23cm round springform pan with baking paper.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar together until frothy. Stir in oil and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, sift flour and cinnamon together. Stir in almond meal. Fold egg mixture into dry ingredients. Lightly fold banana and carrot through.
- Pour mixture into pan. Bake 30-35 minutes, until cooked when tested. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- ICING: Sift icing sugar into a small bowl. Stir in lemon juice until smooth. Drizzle over cooled cake. Serve sliced into wedges.
Read more: Food alternatives for food allergies
- For a nut-free version of this cake, replace the almond meal with buckwheat flour, millet flour or quinoa flour (which is available from health food shops).