Grilled beef salad with eggplant relish
Photography William Meppem
- 300g rump steak, trimmed
- 1 witlof, leaves separated
- 20g coriander, stems only
- 1 lebanese cucumber, sliced lengthways
- Deep-fried shallots, for garnish
- Red chillies, sliced, for garnish
- Jasmine rice, to serve
- Lime wedges, to serve
- 4 red capsicums, roasted and peeled
- 2 Japanese eggplants, roasted and peeled
- 1 large bulb garlic, peeled, cloves halved
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 10 red chillies, deseeded, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium ripe tomato, coarsely chopped
- 20g palm sugar
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp tamarind puree
1 Sear rump on all sides in a hot frypan until golden brown. (If steak is thick, cook in a preheated oven at 140°C/120°C fan until done to your liking.) Rest for 15mins before slicing.
2 To make relish, place all vegetables in a dry wok and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, for 30mins or until caramelised. Remove to a mortar and pestle and pound to a rough paste. Add palm sugar, fish sauce and tamarind puree. Adjust seasoning to taste, if necessary.
3 To serve, arrange witlof, coriander and cucumber on one side of plate, beef slices on opposite side. Spoon relish over beef. Garnish with deep-fried shallots and sliced chilli. Serve with rice and lime wedges.