Sugary drinks increase stroke risk: studyDrinking two glasses of cordial or soft drink a day could increases your risk of stroke by 20 percent, according to Swedish researchers.
It's official: The world's best margherita pizza is made in MelbourneForget flying to Italy for a perfect margherita pizza – you just need to get to Brunswick, north of Melbourne, for a slice of the world's greatest cheesy goodness.
Apple crumble biscuitsThese Apple crumble biscuits hark back to that time, but without the mouth cloying effects. They are buttery and sweet and can be made relatively quickly – certainly as quick as a 1970s packet...
Grilled beef salad with eggplant relish
Photography William Meppem
- 300g rump steak, trimmed
- 1 witlof, leaves separated
- 20g coriander, stems only
- 1 lebanese cucumber, sliced lengthways
- Deep-fried shallots, for garnish
- Red chillies, sliced, for garnish
- Jasmine rice, to serve
- Lime wedges, to serve
- 4 red capsicums, roasted and peeled
- 2 Japanese eggplants, roasted and peeled
- 1 large bulb garlic, peeled, cloves halved
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 10 red chillies, deseeded, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium ripe tomato, coarsely chopped
- 20g palm sugar
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp tamarind puree
1 Sear rump on all sides in a hot frypan until golden brown. (If steak is thick, cook in a preheated oven at 140°C/120°C fan until done to your liking.) Rest for 15mins before slicing.
2 To make relish, place all vegetables in a dry wok and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, for 30mins or until caramelised. Remove to a mortar and pestle and pound to a rough paste. Add palm sugar, fish sauce and tamarind puree. Adjust seasoning to taste, if necessary.
3 To serve, arrange witlof, coriander and cucumber on one side of plate, beef slices on opposite side. Spoon relish over beef. Garnish with deep-fried shallots and sliced chilli. Serve with rice and lime wedges.