Beef and beer pie
4 stars - based on 6 reviews
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 800g beef chuck steak, trimmed, cubed
- 1/4 cup plain seasoned flour
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 375ml bottle lager beer
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Tomato sauce, to serve
1. Heat half oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan on high. Dust beef in flour, shaking off excess. Cook 4-5 minutes, until well browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
2. Heat remaining oil in same pan on high. Saute onions and carrots 4-5 minutes.
3. Return beef to pan with tomato paste, stirring 1 minute. Add stock, beer and sauce. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, partially covered, 1 1/2 hours, until beef is tender. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
4. Meanwhile, preheat oven to hot, 200 degrees . Spoon beef mixture evenly between 4 x 1 1/2-cup ovenproof dishes. Cut pastry large enough to cover. Place over filling and brush with egg. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
5. Bake 20-25 minutes, until puffed and golden brown. Serve with tomato sauce, if liked.
TOP TIP: Allow pastry to thaw slightly before cutting and covering pie filling.