- 400g extra-lean beef mince
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Olive oil spray
- 2 red onions, very thinly sliced
- 11⁄2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 11⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 mixed grain or wholemeal hamburger buns, split, toasted
- 4 iceberg lettuce leaves, shredded
- 8 slices canned beetroot
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 100g reduced-fat fetta, cut in 4 slices
1. Place mince, sauces, garlic and a pinch salt in a bowl and mix well to combine. Shape into 4 patties.
2. Spray onion with oil. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over moderate heat. Cook and stir onion for 5 minutes or until soft. Add sugar; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add vinegar; reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion is caramelised. Transfer to a bowl. Wipe pan clean.
3. Reheat pan over moderate heat. Spray patties with oil. Cook for 4 minutes each side or until brown and cooked. Place bottom halves of buns on serving plates. Top with lettuce, beetroot, tomatoes, patties, fetta and onions. Add bun tops and serve.
Serve rissoles with salad for less carbs. Add bite with 1 teaspoon each ground cumin and coriander; omit barbecue sauce.