Quail with cherriesHere's an interesting fact: "quail" is actually the name for dozens of different species of birds as opposed to just one. I did not previously know that. I was surprised to find this out but then...
Beetroot and feta salad with crispy sageThere are few things more satisfying than getting your hands stained a bright fuchsia by the common garden beet. Almost every country in the world has their very own recipe for this earthy vegetable...
Kuku sabzi, the Persian omeletteThank the world that Middle Eastern food is starting to push its way in front of the monotonous burger and chicken wing takeaways that occupy every main street in the land. I'm not talking about...
Blueberry and raspberry custard meringue pots
- 2 cups (500ml) low-fat milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup (35g) cornflour
- 1/4 cup (80g) icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1/2 punnet blueberries
- 1/2 punnet raspberries
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180C or 160C fan. Whisk together milk, egg yolks, corn flour, icing sugar and vanilla in a saucepan. Stir on medium heat for 10 minutes, until sauce boils and thickens. Remove from heat and stir through berries. Divide custard between six 1-cup ramekins. Bake for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, beat eggwhites, until soft peaks form. Add sugar, a little at a time, until thick and glossy. Remove custard pots from oven and spoon or pipe meringue on top. Bake for another 5-7 minutes, until meringue is golden. Serve.