Cut sugar to five percent of daily calories: World Health OrganisationThe World Health Organisation has changed recommendations to suggest we cut sugar to just five percent of daily calories.
Atkins style diets may shorten lifespansHigh protein diets are all the rage, but a recent study has suggested that they are not necessarily beneficial to our long term health.
Meat and cheese could be as bad for you as smokingPeople who eat a diet high in animal protein in middle age are four times more likely to die from cancer than people who eat more plant-based foods, according to a study.
Blueberry and raspberry custard meringue pots
- 2 cups (500ml) low-fat milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup (35g) cornflour
- 1/4 cup (80g) icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1/2 punnet blueberries
- 1/2 punnet raspberries
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180C or 160C fan. Whisk together milk, egg yolks, corn flour, icing sugar and vanilla in a saucepan. Stir on medium heat for 10 minutes, until sauce boils and thickens. Remove from heat and stir through berries. Divide custard between six 1-cup ramekins. Bake for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, beat eggwhites, until soft peaks form. Add sugar, a little at a time, until thick and glossy. Remove custard pots from oven and spoon or pipe meringue on top. Bake for another 5-7 minutes, until meringue is golden. Serve.