Orecchiette with broccoli, chilli and pecorino
- 50 ml olive oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 3 anchovy fillets
- 400 gm dried orecchiette
- 1.5 litres (6 cups) hot vegetable or chicken stock
- 150 gm broccoli (about 1 small), trimmed and cut into florets
- 50 gm pecorino, finely grated, plus extra to serve
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
This dish is cooked like risotto, adding stock, ladleful by ladleful, as it's absorbed. If using packaged stock, be careful when adding salt.
Combine oil, onion, garlic and chilli in a large saucepan, sauté over medium-high heat until tender (4-5 minutes), add anchovy, stir until dissolved. Add pasta, stir to coat, then add one-third of the hot stock and stir until stock is absorbed (4-5 minutes). Repeat once until most of the stock is absorbed and pasta is almost al dente (10-12 minutes), then add broccoli and remaining stock, stir until broccoli is just tender (2-3 minutes). Stir through pecorino and lemon rind, season to taste and serve hot, scattered with extra pecorino.