Macaroni and cauliflower cheese bake
- macaroni, 250g
- cauliflower, 500g (½ head),
- cut into florets
- butter, 60g, chopped
- onion, 1 small, finely chopped
- plain flour, 1/3 cup
- milk, 3 cups
- parmesan, finely grated, 2 cups
- Dijon mustard, 2 teaspoons
- thyme leaves, 2 teaspoons, plus extra to serve
- rindless bacon, 4 rashers, chopped
- bocconcini, 220g tub, torn
- Preheat oven to hot, 200°C.
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water, following packet instructions. Add cauliflower to water halfway through. Drain well and return
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a second saucepan on medium heat. Saute onion 3-4 minutes, until tender. Add flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Remove pan from heat and gradually whisk in milk until combined. Return pan to medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat. Stir in 1½ cups parmesan and mustard. Season to taste.
- Add cheese sauce and thyme to pasta mixture, stirring to combine. Spoon into a shallow 9-cup ovenproof dish or divide among six 1½-cup ovenproof dishes. Top with bacon and bocconcini, then scatter extra parmesan over.
- Place on an oven tray and bake 20-25 minutes until golden. Top with extra thyme leaves to serve.
- For delicious variations, substitute broccoli or trimmed asparagus for cauliflower, and ham or prosciutto for bacon.