Kuku sabzi, the Persian omeletteThank the world that Middle Eastern food is starting to push its way in front of the monotonous burger and chicken wing takeaways that occupy every main street in the land. I'm not talking about...
Bring back the quintessential Aussie burgerYou may have noticed that as the years go by, food is changing. The advent of processed food has only been around for roughly 75 years a mere speck of sand in the hourglass of food history....
Chocolate, coconut and banana breadGood old, ubiquitous banana bread. It's on every cafe menu from Toorak to Townsville and like most popular items, you can get some stellar ones and some truly diabolical ones. The price too, isn't...
Macaroni and cauliflower cheese bake
- macaroni, 250g
- cauliflower, 500g (½ head),
- cut into florets
- butter, 60g, chopped
- onion, 1 small, finely chopped
- plain flour, 1/3 cup
- milk, 3 cups
- parmesan, finely grated, 2 cups
- Dijon mustard, 2 teaspoons
- thyme leaves, 2 teaspoons, plus extra to serve
- rindless bacon, 4 rashers, chopped
- bocconcini, 220g tub, torn
- Preheat oven to hot, 200°C.
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water, following packet instructions. Add cauliflower to water halfway through. Drain well and return
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a second saucepan on medium heat. Saute onion 3-4 minutes, until tender. Add flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Remove pan from heat and gradually whisk in milk until combined. Return pan to medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat. Stir in 1½ cups parmesan and mustard. Season to taste.
- Add cheese sauce and thyme to pasta mixture, stirring to combine. Spoon into a shallow 9-cup ovenproof dish or divide among six 1½-cup ovenproof dishes. Top with bacon and bocconcini, then scatter extra parmesan over.
- Place on an oven tray and bake 20-25 minutes until golden. Top with extra thyme leaves to serve.
- For delicious variations, substitute broccoli or trimmed asparagus for cauliflower, and ham or prosciutto for bacon.