Entertain with ease this ChristmasAldi Christmas
The night before ChristmasChristmas at Aldi
Your perfect Christmas hamperChristmas at Aldi
Indonesian spring rolls (Lumpia)
5 stars - based on 2 reviews
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil, plus 60ml (¼ cup) extra
- 3 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- 10 gm (2cm piece) ginger, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 200 gm chicken breast, finely chopped
- 2 tsp kecap manis, plus extra to serve
- 200 gm cabbage, finely shredded on a mandolin
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 100 gm bean sprouts, coarsely chopped
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 250 gm peeled medium uncooked prawns, finely chopped
- 20 spring roll wrappers, halved
- 1 eggwhite, lightly beaten
- To serve: Indonesian chilli sauce or kecap manis
Prep time 35 mins, cook 50 mins (plus cooling)
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok over medium heat and stir-fry shallot, ginger and garlic until golden (2-4 minutes). Add chicken and kecap manis and stir-fry until chicken is cooked through (3 minutes). Season to taste, transfer to a bowl.
In the same wok, stir-fry cabbage, carrot, bean sprouts and spring onion in another 1 tbsp oil, adding a little extra oil if necessary. Season to taste, then add chilli and stir-fry until vegetables begin to wilt (2-3 minutes). Add 1 tbsp water to prevent mixture from burning, then add prawns and toss until they turn pink (1-2 minutes). Return chicken mixture to wok and heat through (1-2 minutes), adjust seasoning to taste, then transfer mixture to a colander to drain and cool completely.
Lay a spring roll wrapper on a work surface, place 2 tsp chicken mixture on one corner and roll to completely enclose filling, folding in sides. Brush edge of wrapper with eggwhite and seal. Repeat with remaining mixture and wrappers.
Heat oil in a deep saucepan to 170C. Deep-fry spring rolls in batches, turning occasionally, until golden and crisp (2-4 minutes; be careful as hot oil will spit). Drain on absorbent paper and serve hot with chilli sauce or kecap manis for dipping.