Recipe Loukie Werle. Photography Brett Stevens. Styling Yael Grinham.
- 4 french shallots, peeled
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2-3cm piece ginger, coarsely chopped
- 2-4 bird's eye chillies, deseeded
- ¼ cup (60ml) vegetable oil, plus ¼ cup extra
- 1½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 1½ tablespoons ketjap manis
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice
1 Rinse chicken under cold running water and dry on paper towels. Make 2 deep slashes in meaty parts of each wing. Place wings in a large bowl.
2 Combine all spice paste ingredients in a blender and whiz until smooth. Heat extra oil in a frypan over moderate heat, add spice paste, and cook until fragrant and thick, about 10mins, stirring constantly. Set aside to cool.
3 Pour cooled spice paste over chicken and toss to coat thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate at least 6hrs or overnight.
4 Preheat barbecue to moderately high. Oil grill plate then cook wings for 14mins, or until cooked through, turning once or twice.
Makes 12-16 wings