Quail with cherriesHere's an interesting fact: "quail" is actually the name for dozens of different species of birds as opposed to just one. I did not previously know that. I was surprised to find this out but then...
Beetroot and feta salad with crispy sageThere are few things more satisfying than getting your hands stained a bright fuchsia by the common garden beet. Almost every country in the world has their very own recipe for this earthy vegetable...
Kuku sabzi, the Persian omeletteThank the world that Middle Eastern food is starting to push its way in front of the monotonous burger and chicken wing takeaways that occupy every main street in the land. I'm not talking about...
Baked chicken paella for $10
5 stars - based on 6 reviews
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1kg chicken drumsticks
- 1 chorizo sausage, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons hot chilli sauce
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1½ cups medium-grain rice
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup sliced black olives
- chopped parsley, salad, to serve
- Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C. Lightly grease a 3-litre ovenproof dish.
- Heat oil in a frying pan on high. Cook chicken and sausage 8-10 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Add onion, celery and garlic to pan. Saute 3-4 minutes, until onion is tender. Stir paprika and chilli sauce through. Cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Transfer onion mixture to dish with stock, tomatoes, rice and peas. Mix well.
- Arrange chicken and sausage in dish with rice mixture. Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes, until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle with olives and parsley to serve. Accompany with salad.
- Stir paella once or twice during cooking, and add a little stock if mixture dries out too quickly.