Things that surprised us about coffee more than caffeine itselfIf there's one day of the year you'd struggle to get through without a mug of coffee, it's International Coffee Day. That day is today, even in a couple of countries that tried to ban it three or...
Edible billboard touts virtue of cakeWe didn't need an ad to tell us "life is better with cake" but one artist's edible advertisement has convinced us marketing goes better with food.
Hummingbird porridgeNo-one will ever make porridge like my dad used to make it. I can't put my finger on it and goodness knows I have tried but since he joined the big butcher shop in the sky in the early '80s, I have...
Baked chicken paella for $10
5 stars - based on 6 reviews
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1kg chicken drumsticks
- 1 chorizo sausage, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons hot chilli sauce
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1½ cups medium-grain rice
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup sliced black olives
- chopped parsley, salad, to serve
- Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C. Lightly grease a 3-litre ovenproof dish.
- Heat oil in a frying pan on high. Cook chicken and sausage 8-10 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Add onion, celery and garlic to pan. Saute 3-4 minutes, until onion is tender. Stir paprika and chilli sauce through. Cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Transfer onion mixture to dish with stock, tomatoes, rice and peas. Mix well.
- Arrange chicken and sausage in dish with rice mixture. Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes, until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle with olives and parsley to serve. Accompany with salad.
- Stir paella once or twice during cooking, and add a little stock if mixture dries out too quickly.