Entertain with ease this ChristmasAldi Christmas
The night before ChristmasChristmas at Aldi
Your perfect Christmas hamperChristmas at Aldi
Lemon thyme roasted chicken with autumn veg
3 stars - based on 2 reviews
- 1.5kg whole chicken
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt flakes, to taste
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- 800g small baby potatoes, quartered
- 2 large zucchinis, cut into chunks
- 8 baby golden squash, halved
- Half bunch lemon thyme sprigs
- Crusty bread, to serve
- Poultry scissors or sharp knife
- Large stoveproof baking dish
1. Joint chicken Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced). Lay bird breast side down on board and cut out backbone, discard. Turn chicken over, lay out flat and press down to break the breastbone. Remove thighs and legs from carcass by following natural form of the bird. Cut through joint where leg and thigh meet to separate. For breast pieces, cut down centre of breastbone, then cut each breast so you have a smaller piece with the wing attached and a longer tail piece to ensure even cooking time (1/3 to 2/3 ratio). You should now have 8 pieces.
2. Brown Place oil in baking dish over high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper, then fry skin side down for 3 to 4 mins to brown skin. Remove from dish and set aside. Add potatoes to dish and fry for 5 mins, until they colour.
3. Place zucchini, squash, potatoes and chicken into baking dish and sprinkle with thyme. Toss in oily juices and coat well.
4. Roast Place chicken in oven for 25 to 30 mins or until chicken pieces and vegies are golden and cooked through. Remove from oven and serve drizzled with cooking juices and crusty bread.
Browning the chicken and potatoes on the stove first not only gives you colour and more flavour, but vastly reduces the cooking time of the dish. It only takes a few minutes to joint the chook, but you could buy chicken pieces if you prefer.