Quail with cherriesHere's an interesting fact: "quail" is actually the name for dozens of different species of birds as opposed to just one. I did not previously know that. I was surprised to find this out but then...
Beetroot and feta salad with crispy sageThere are few things more satisfying than getting your hands stained a bright fuchsia by the common garden beet. Almost every country in the world has their very own recipe for this earthy vegetable...
Kuku sabzi, the Persian omeletteThank the world that Middle Eastern food is starting to push its way in front of the monotonous burger and chicken wing takeaways that occupy every main street in the land. I'm not talking about...
Chicken, rice and melon salad
- 11/2cups quick cooking brown rice
- 1/4 cup wild rice (optional)
- 40g baby spinach or rocket leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 barbecued chicken, skinned and boned
- 2 sticks celery, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 rockmelon, cut into balls (2-3 cups)
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped roasted hazelnuts
1. Prepare dressing as recipe directs. Cook brown rice as packet directs with wild rice (if using) until tender, but slightly chewy. Drain well; spread out on a tray and cool. Cover; chill until cold.
2. Transfer rice to a bowl; stir through spinach, dill and combined juice and honey. Season with salt and black pepper. Spoon onto serving plates.
3. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces and place in a bowl; add celery. Fold through enough of the mayonnaise to lightly coat. Arrange mixture with melon balls over rice. Sprinkle with nuts. Serve with any remaining mayo.
Poppy seed mayonnaise
Gluten free Norganic mayonnaise, made from soybean oil, is thickened with cornflour and stabilised with xanthan gum.
Makes about 1 cup
Preparation: 2 minutes
1 cup Norganic Organic Mayo Dressing
1 tablespoon honey, or to taste
2 teaspoons lemon juice, to taste
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
Combine ingredients; season to taste with salt and black pepper.
TIPS: A 350g tub low-fat cottage cheese can be used in place of the ricotta, if you like.