Nine steps to the perfectly poured beerBars are full of rituals that elevate mere boozing to a loftier status. At their best, patrons form orderly queues to receive the sacrament of the grain or grape from skilled barkeeps who dispense...
Choosing the perfect glass for your beerGlassware plays a huge role in the beer experience and if there is any tip I can give you when it comes to drinking beer, it's to pour your brew into a glass before you enjoy it. Trust me on that one.
How to supercharge your home brew, with tips from an amateur brewer who turned proIn honour of International Beer Day on August 1, we've found someone who can tell you how to create your own top-notch brews.
Chicken, rice and melon salad
- 11/2cups quick cooking brown rice
- 1/4 cup wild rice (optional)
- 40g baby spinach or rocket leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 barbecued chicken, skinned and boned
- 2 sticks celery, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 rockmelon, cut into balls (2-3 cups)
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped roasted hazelnuts
1. Prepare dressing as recipe directs. Cook brown rice as packet directs with wild rice (if using) until tender, but slightly chewy. Drain well; spread out on a tray and cool. Cover; chill until cold.
2. Transfer rice to a bowl; stir through spinach, dill and combined juice and honey. Season with salt and black pepper. Spoon onto serving plates.
3. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces and place in a bowl; add celery. Fold through enough of the mayonnaise to lightly coat. Arrange mixture with melon balls over rice. Sprinkle with nuts. Serve with any remaining mayo.
Poppy seed mayonnaise
Gluten free Norganic mayonnaise, made from soybean oil, is thickened with cornflour and stabilised with xanthan gum.
Makes about 1 cup
Preparation: 2 minutes
1 cup Norganic Organic Mayo Dressing
1 tablespoon honey, or to taste
2 teaspoons lemon juice, to taste
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
Combine ingredients; season to taste with salt and black pepper.
TIPS: A 350g tub low-fat cottage cheese can be used in place of the ricotta, if you like.