Edible billboard touts virtue of cakeWe didn't need an ad to tell us "life is better with cake" but one artist's edible advertisement has convinced us marketing goes better with food.
Hummingbird porridgeNo-one will ever make porridge like my dad used to make it. I can't put my finger on it and goodness knows I have tried but since he joined the big butcher shop in the sky in the early '80s, I have...
Almond gazpacho with blue swimmer crab and grapesI recently spent some time in the wilds of Kangaroo Island, South Australia and given that it was the tail end of winter, the last thing I thought I would be eating is a beautifully smooth chilled...
Chicken, rice and melon salad
- 11/2cups quick cooking brown rice
- 1/4 cup wild rice (optional)
- 40g baby spinach or rocket leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 barbecued chicken, skinned and boned
- 2 sticks celery, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 rockmelon, cut into balls (2-3 cups)
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped roasted hazelnuts
1. Prepare dressing as recipe directs. Cook brown rice as packet directs with wild rice (if using) until tender, but slightly chewy. Drain well; spread out on a tray and cool. Cover; chill until cold.
2. Transfer rice to a bowl; stir through spinach, dill and combined juice and honey. Season with salt and black pepper. Spoon onto serving plates.
3. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces and place in a bowl; add celery. Fold through enough of the mayonnaise to lightly coat. Arrange mixture with melon balls over rice. Sprinkle with nuts. Serve with any remaining mayo.
Poppy seed mayonnaise
Gluten free Norganic mayonnaise, made from soybean oil, is thickened with cornflour and stabilised with xanthan gum.
Makes about 1 cup
Preparation: 2 minutes
1 cup Norganic Organic Mayo Dressing
1 tablespoon honey, or to taste
2 teaspoons lemon juice, to taste
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
Combine ingredients; season to taste with salt and black pepper.
TIPS: A 350g tub low-fat cottage cheese can be used in place of the ricotta, if you like.