Fruit and veg countdown to health and happinessIf you're confused about how much fruit and veg you should have in your diet, you've got good reason to be. There's plenty of professional advice out there and the advice is being applied to not just...
Sandwiches surprise major source of dietary saltIn something of a health warning for sanger lovers Down Under, US researchers have found Americans get as much as 46 percent of their recommended dietary intake of salt in sandwiches daily.
Juices with more sugar than Red Bull revealedJuice drinkers, if you think you're quenching your thirst with a healthy alternative to soft drink, prepare yourself for a sugary shock. Our survey of drinks confirms earlier research that some...
Chicken, rice and melon salad
- 11/2cups quick cooking brown rice
- 1/4 cup wild rice (optional)
- 40g baby spinach or rocket leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 barbecued chicken, skinned and boned
- 2 sticks celery, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 rockmelon, cut into balls (2-3 cups)
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped roasted hazelnuts
1. Prepare dressing as recipe directs. Cook brown rice as packet directs with wild rice (if using) until tender, but slightly chewy. Drain well; spread out on a tray and cool. Cover; chill until cold.
2. Transfer rice to a bowl; stir through spinach, dill and combined juice and honey. Season with salt and black pepper. Spoon onto serving plates.
3. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces and place in a bowl; add celery. Fold through enough of the mayonnaise to lightly coat. Arrange mixture with melon balls over rice. Sprinkle with nuts. Serve with any remaining mayo.
Poppy seed mayonnaise
Gluten free Norganic mayonnaise, made from soybean oil, is thickened with cornflour and stabilised with xanthan gum.
Makes about 1 cup
Preparation: 2 minutes
1 cup Norganic Organic Mayo Dressing
1 tablespoon honey, or to taste
2 teaspoons lemon juice, to taste
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
Combine ingredients; season to taste with salt and black pepper.
TIPS: A 350g tub low-fat cottage cheese can be used in place of the ricotta, if you like.