Edible billboard touts virtue of cakeWe didn't need an ad to tell us "life is better with cake" but one artist's edible advertisement has convinced us marketing goes better with food.
Hummingbird porridgeNo-one will ever make porridge like my dad used to make it. I can't put my finger on it and goodness knows I have tried but since he joined the big butcher shop in the sky in the early '80s, I have...
Almond gazpacho with blue swimmer crab and grapesI recently spent some time in the wilds of Kangaroo Island, South Australia and given that it was the tail end of winter, the last thing I thought I would be eating is a beautifully smooth chilled...
Chicken, asparagus and pea casserole
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.2kg chicken thigh fillets, cut into thirds (halved if small fillets)
- 2 medium (240g) carrots, sliced thinly
- 1 medium (150g) brown onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain flour
- 3 cups (750ml) chicken stock, approximately
- 1 cup (120g) frozen baby peas
- 2 bunches (340g) asparagus, trimmed, cut into thirds
1. Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add
the chicken; cook until browned all over. Add the carrots, onion and garlic; cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes or untilstarting to soften.
2. Add the flour; cook, stirring, until the vegetables are coated.
3. Gradually stir in the stock until combined, adding just enough to cover the chicken
and vegetables. Simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, topping up stock if necessary. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
4. Add peas; return to the boil. Add asparagus; simmer, uncovered, for another few minutes or until the asparagus is just tender.
5. Serve chicken casserole with mashed potato, if desired.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.