McDonald's burger served with hidden swastikaThere are a bunch of ways a visit to a fast-food restaurant can leave a bad taste in your mouth and race hate is now one of them. But rather than leave racist remarks on receipts a US McDonald's...
Cheeses saltier than seawater shamedA survey of salty cheeses has UK health groups comparing haloumi to seawater, in an effort to encourage the dairy industry to further reduce sodium content in their foods.
Man buys all the pies to spite unruly childA Canadian man has achieved restaurant hero status after telling his story about teaching a woman and her misbehaving child a lesson in fast-food etiquette. In this case, revenge is not a dish best...
Chicken, asparagus and pea casserole
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.2kg chicken thigh fillets, cut into thirds (halved if small fillets)
- 2 medium (240g) carrots, sliced thinly
- 1 medium (150g) brown onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain flour
- 3 cups (750ml) chicken stock, approximately
- 1 cup (120g) frozen baby peas
- 2 bunches (340g) asparagus, trimmed, cut into thirds
1. Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add
the chicken; cook until browned all over. Add the carrots, onion and garlic; cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes or untilstarting to soften.
2. Add the flour; cook, stirring, until the vegetables are coated.
3. Gradually stir in the stock until combined, adding just enough to cover the chicken
and vegetables. Simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, topping up stock if necessary. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
4. Add peas; return to the boil. Add asparagus; simmer, uncovered, for another few minutes or until the asparagus is just tender.
5. Serve chicken casserole with mashed potato, if desired.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.