Fruit and veg countdown to health and happinessIf you're confused about how much fruit and veg you should have in your diet, you've got good reason to be. There's plenty of professional advice out there and the advice is being applied to not just...
Sandwiches surprise major source of dietary saltIn something of a health warning for sanger lovers Down Under, US researchers have found Americans get as much as 46 percent of their recommended dietary intake of salt in sandwiches daily.
Juices with more sugar than Red Bull revealedJuice drinkers, if you think you're quenching your thirst with a healthy alternative to soft drink, prepare yourself for a sugary shock. Our survey of drinks confirms earlier research that some...
Chicken, asparagus and pea casserole
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.2kg chicken thigh fillets, cut into thirds (halved if small fillets)
- 2 medium (240g) carrots, sliced thinly
- 1 medium (150g) brown onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain flour
- 3 cups (750ml) chicken stock, approximately
- 1 cup (120g) frozen baby peas
- 2 bunches (340g) asparagus, trimmed, cut into thirds
1. Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add
the chicken; cook until browned all over. Add the carrots, onion and garlic; cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes or untilstarting to soften.
2. Add the flour; cook, stirring, until the vegetables are coated.
3. Gradually stir in the stock until combined, adding just enough to cover the chicken
and vegetables. Simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, topping up stock if necessary. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
4. Add peas; return to the boil. Add asparagus; simmer, uncovered, for another few minutes or until the asparagus is just tender.
5. Serve chicken casserole with mashed potato, if desired.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.