Bring back the quintessential Aussie burgerYou may have noticed that as the years go by, food is changing. The advent of processed food has only been around for roughly 75 years a mere speck of sand in the hourglass of food history....
Chocolate, coconut and banana breadGood old, ubiquitous banana bread. It's on every cafe menu from Toorak to Townsville and like most popular items, you can get some stellar ones and some truly diabolical ones. The price too, isn't...
Authentic fried riceI'm going to attempt to unravel the myth of cooking fried rice for you. Because we all know that the fried rice you get from the local take away can never be recreated at home. Or can it?
Lemon chicken drumsticks with citrus chilli salt
- 1 large fresh red chilli, seeded, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup sea salt flakes
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime rind
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 3 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 1/3 cup (80ml) orange juice
- 1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 12 (1.8kg) chicken drumsticks
- 12 basil leaves
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Pound chilli, salt and rinds in a mortar and pestle or process until fine flakes form. Spread the salt mixture out on a small oven tray. Bake for about 5 minutes or until dry. Cool; store in an airtight jar or container.
2. Whisk the juices, oil and honey in a large bowl until combined. Add drumsticks; stir to coat. Transfer drumsticks and marinade into a baking dish. Add basil. Bake for about 50 minutes or until cooked through, turning occasionally. Cool.
3. Transfer chicken and pan juices to storage container. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve sprinkled with the citrus salt.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.