Quail with cherriesHere's an interesting fact: "quail" is actually the name for dozens of different species of birds as opposed to just one. I did not previously know that. I was surprised to find this out but then...
Beetroot and feta salad with crispy sageThere are few things more satisfying than getting your hands stained a bright fuchsia by the common garden beet. Almost every country in the world has their very own recipe for this earthy vegetable...
Kuku sabzi, the Persian omeletteThank the world that Middle Eastern food is starting to push its way in front of the monotonous burger and chicken wing takeaways that occupy every main street in the land. I'm not talking about...
Lemon chicken drumsticks with citrus chilli salt
- 1 large fresh red chilli, seeded, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup sea salt flakes
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime rind
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 3 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 1/3 cup (80ml) orange juice
- 1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 12 (1.8kg) chicken drumsticks
- 12 basil leaves
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Pound chilli, salt and rinds in a mortar and pestle or process until fine flakes form. Spread the salt mixture out on a small oven tray. Bake for about 5 minutes or until dry. Cool; store in an airtight jar or container.
2. Whisk the juices, oil and honey in a large bowl until combined. Add drumsticks; stir to coat. Transfer drumsticks and marinade into a baking dish. Add basil. Bake for about 50 minutes or until cooked through, turning occasionally. Cool.
3. Transfer chicken and pan juices to storage container. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve sprinkled with the citrus salt.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.