Edible billboard touts virtue of cakeWe didn't need an ad to tell us "life is better with cake" but one artist's edible advertisement has convinced us marketing goes better with food.
Hummingbird porridgeNo-one will ever make porridge like my dad used to make it. I can't put my finger on it and goodness knows I have tried but since he joined the big butcher shop in the sky in the early '80s, I have...
Almond gazpacho with blue swimmer crab and grapesI recently spent some time in the wilds of Kangaroo Island, South Australia and given that it was the tail end of winter, the last thing I thought I would be eating is a beautifully smooth chilled...
Lemon chicken drumsticks with citrus chilli salt
- 1 large fresh red chilli, seeded, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup sea salt flakes
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime rind
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 3 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 1/3 cup (80ml) orange juice
- 1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 12 (1.8kg) chicken drumsticks
- 12 basil leaves
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Pound chilli, salt and rinds in a mortar and pestle or process until fine flakes form. Spread the salt mixture out on a small oven tray. Bake for about 5 minutes or until dry. Cool; store in an airtight jar or container.
2. Whisk the juices, oil and honey in a large bowl until combined. Add drumsticks; stir to coat. Transfer drumsticks and marinade into a baking dish. Add basil. Bake for about 50 minutes or until cooked through, turning occasionally. Cool.
3. Transfer chicken and pan juices to storage container. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve sprinkled with the citrus salt.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.