Photography by Ben Dearnley. Food styling by Marie-Helene Clauzon
- ½ cup (50g) cocoa powder
- ½ cup (125ml) boiling water
- 185g butter, softened
- 1½ cups (330g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cups (225g) self-raising flour
- ½ cup (75g) plain flour
- ¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ¾ cup (180ml) milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 150g small milk chocolate Easter eggs
- coloured cake decorations
- milk chocolate frosting
- 400g eating-quality milk chocolate, chopped
- 2/3 cup (160ml) thickened cream
Combine cocoa and water in a small bowl; whisk until smooth. Cool.
Preheat the oven to moderately slow (160°C/140°C fan-forced). Grease a deep 22cm round cake pan, line base with baking paper.
Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until combined between additions. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
Stir in sifted flours and soda, then milk, vanilla and cocoa mixture. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for about 1 hour 10 minutes or until cooked. Stand for 10 minutes before turning onto a rack to cool.
milk chocolate frosting
Combine chocolate and cream in a small saucepan, stir over a very low heat until smooth. Transfer to a bowl. Refrigerate, stirring frequently, until a spreadable consistency.
Spread Milk Chocolate Frosting over top and side of cake, decorate with chocolate eggs and coloured decorations