Chocolate French macaroons
5 stars - based on 1 reviews
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
- 1 1/4 cups (200g) icing sugar
- 3/4 cup (90g) ground almonds
- 1/4 cup (25g) cocoa powder
- DARK CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- 1/4 cup (60ml) cream
- 155g dark eating chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 1 tablespoon finely crushed buttered Brazil nuts
1. Preheat oven to 130°C (110°C fan-forced). Grease oven trays; line with baking paper.
2. Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add caster sugar; beat until sugar dissolves; transfer mixture to large bowl. Fold in sifted icing sugar, ground almonds and sifted cocoa, in two batches.
3. Spoon mixture into piping bag fitted with 1cm plain tube. Pipe 4cm rounds about 2.5cm apart onto trays. Tap trays on bench so macaroons spread slightly. Stand 30 minutes.
4. Bake macaroons about 20 minutes. Cool on trays.
5. DARK CHOCOLATE GANACHE: Bring cream to the boil in small saucepan. Remove from heat; pour over chocolate in small bowl, stir until smooth. Stir in nuts. Stand at room temperature until spreadable.
6. Sandwich macaroons with Dark Chocolate Ganache.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave.
COOK'S NOTE: Buttered Brazil nuts are toffee-coated nuts. They're available from nut shops and gourmet food stores.