Chocolate hazelnut friands
3 stars - based on 14 reviews
- 100g butter
- 100g packet ground hazelmeal
- 11⁄2 cups pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1⁄2 cup gluten-free plain flour
- 5 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup gluten free chocolate hazelnut spread, plus extra, to decorate
- 12 whole hazelnuts, to garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan forced. Lightly grease a friand tray (or use a 1 cup-capacity muffin tray). Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat; cook gently for 10 minutes until golden. Cool.
2. Place ground hazelnuts, sugar and flour in a mixing bowl; stir well to combine. Add egg whites, hazelnut spread and browned butter; mix well to combine. Divide mixture equally between holes in prepared pan.
3. Bake for 20-25 minutes until cakes are cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool completely on a wire rack. Store airtight.
4. To serve, spoon 1⁄4 teaspoon extra hazelnut spread on top of each friand; garnish with a whole nut.
Pure icing sugar has no gluten, but icing sugar mixture can have it. To avoid burning butter, watch carefully as it browns.