Edible billboard touts virtue of cakeWe didn't need an ad to tell us "life is better with cake" but one artist's edible advertisement has convinced us marketing goes better with food.
Hummingbird porridgeNo-one will ever make porridge like my dad used to make it. I can't put my finger on it and goodness knows I have tried but since he joined the big butcher shop in the sky in the early '80s, I have...
Almond gazpacho with blue swimmer crab and grapesI recently spent some time in the wilds of Kangaroo Island, South Australia and given that it was the tail end of winter, the last thing I thought I would be eating is a beautifully smooth chilled...
Coconut and pistachio balls
- 80g packet pistachio kernels
- 23⁄4 cups desiccated coconut
- 395g can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (sweet spices)
- 1 teaspoon orangeflower water
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan forced. Scatter pistachios on a baking tray; bake for 5 minutes. Cool. Process in a food processor until finely ground.
2. Place 21⁄4 cups coconut in a mixing bowl. Add nuts, milk, spice and orangeflower water; mix well to combine. Turn mixture into a large non-stick frying pan over low heat. Using a wooden spoon, stir constantly for 3-4 minutes or until mixture dries and begins to thicken. Cool.
3. Using damp hands, shape mixture into bite-size balls. Roll in remaining coconut to coat. Store airtight.
Replace garam masala with your favourite ground sweet spices if you like. Orange flower water is in the baking aisle; you can also use rosewater. These moist morsels are delicious with your after-dinner coffee.