Quail with cherriesHere's an interesting fact: "quail" is actually the name for dozens of different species of birds as opposed to just one. I did not previously know that. I was surprised to find this out but then...
Beetroot and feta salad with crispy sageThere are few things more satisfying than getting your hands stained a bright fuchsia by the common garden beet. Almost every country in the world has their very own recipe for this earthy vegetable...
Kuku sabzi, the Persian omeletteThank the world that Middle Eastern food is starting to push its way in front of the monotonous burger and chicken wing takeaways that occupy every main street in the land. I'm not talking about...
Coconut and pistachio balls
- 80g packet pistachio kernels
- 23⁄4 cups desiccated coconut
- 395g can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (sweet spices)
- 1 teaspoon orangeflower water
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan forced. Scatter pistachios on a baking tray; bake for 5 minutes. Cool. Process in a food processor until finely ground.
2. Place 21⁄4 cups coconut in a mixing bowl. Add nuts, milk, spice and orangeflower water; mix well to combine. Turn mixture into a large non-stick frying pan over low heat. Using a wooden spoon, stir constantly for 3-4 minutes or until mixture dries and begins to thicken. Cool.
3. Using damp hands, shape mixture into bite-size balls. Roll in remaining coconut to coat. Store airtight.
Replace garam masala with your favourite ground sweet spices if you like. Orange flower water is in the baking aisle; you can also use rosewater. These moist morsels are delicious with your after-dinner coffee.