Nine steps to the perfectly poured beerBars are full of rituals that elevate mere boozing to a loftier status. At their best, patrons form orderly queues to receive the sacrament of the grain or grape from skilled barkeeps who dispense...
Choosing the perfect glass for your beerGlassware plays a huge role in the beer experience and if there is any tip I can give you when it comes to drinking beer, it's to pour your brew into a glass before you enjoy it. Trust me on that one.
How to supercharge your home brew, with tips from an amateur brewer who turned proIn honour of International Beer Day on August 1, we've found someone who can tell you how to create your own top-notch brews.
Coconut and pistachio balls
- 80g packet pistachio kernels
- 23⁄4 cups desiccated coconut
- 395g can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (sweet spices)
- 1 teaspoon orangeflower water
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan forced. Scatter pistachios on a baking tray; bake for 5 minutes. Cool. Process in a food processor until finely ground.
2. Place 21⁄4 cups coconut in a mixing bowl. Add nuts, milk, spice and orangeflower water; mix well to combine. Turn mixture into a large non-stick frying pan over low heat. Using a wooden spoon, stir constantly for 3-4 minutes or until mixture dries and begins to thicken. Cool.
3. Using damp hands, shape mixture into bite-size balls. Roll in remaining coconut to coat. Store airtight.
Replace garam masala with your favourite ground sweet spices if you like. Orange flower water is in the baking aisle; you can also use rosewater. These moist morsels are delicious with your after-dinner coffee.