Quail with cherriesHere's an interesting fact: "quail" is actually the name for dozens of different species of birds as opposed to just one. I did not previously know that. I was surprised to find this out but then...
Beetroot and feta salad with crispy sageThere are few things more satisfying than getting your hands stained a bright fuchsia by the common garden beet. Almost every country in the world has their very own recipe for this earthy vegetable...
Kuku sabzi, the Persian omeletteThank the world that Middle Eastern food is starting to push its way in front of the monotonous burger and chicken wing takeaways that occupy every main street in the land. I'm not talking about...
Eggs Benedict with hollandaise sauce
5 stars - based on 5 reviews
Photographer: Brett Stevens. Stylist: Yael Grinham
- 8 eggs
- 4 english muffins
- 200g shaved leg ham
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives to serve
- HOLLANDAISE SAUCE
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 egg yolks
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
1. HOLLANDAISE SAUCE: Combine vinegar, juice and peppercorns in small saucepan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until liquid is reduced by half. Strain through a fine sieve into small heatproof bowl; cool 10 minutes.
2. Whisk egg yolks into vinegar mixture. Set bowl over small saucepan of simmering water; do not allow water to touch base of bowl. Whisk mixture over heat until thickened. Remove bowl from heat; gradually whisk in melted butter in a thin steady stream, whisking constantly until sauce is thick and creamy.
3. POACH EGGS: To poach eggs, half-fill a large shallow frying pan with water; bring to the boil. Break 1 egg into a cup, then slide into pan; repeat with three more eggs.
4. When all eggs are in pan, allow water to return to the boil. Cover pan, turn off heat; stand about 4 minutes or until a light film of egg white sets over yolks. Remove the egg with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper; cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining eggs.
5. Meanwhile, split muffins in half and toast. Serve muffins topped with ham, poached eggs, sauce and chives.