Nine steps to the perfectly poured beerBars are full of rituals that elevate mere boozing to a loftier status. At their best, patrons form orderly queues to receive the sacrament of the grain or grape from skilled barkeeps who dispense...
Choosing the perfect glass for your beerGlassware plays a huge role in the beer experience and if there is any tip I can give you when it comes to drinking beer, it's to pour your brew into a glass before you enjoy it. Trust me on that one.
How to supercharge your home brew, with tips from an amateur brewer who turned proIn honour of International Beer Day on August 1, we've found someone who can tell you how to create your own top-notch brews.
Eggs Benedict with hollandaise sauce
5 stars - based on 5 reviews
Photographer: Brett Stevens. Stylist: Yael Grinham
- 8 eggs
- 4 english muffins
- 200g shaved leg ham
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives to serve
- HOLLANDAISE SAUCE
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 egg yolks
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
1. HOLLANDAISE SAUCE: Combine vinegar, juice and peppercorns in small saucepan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until liquid is reduced by half. Strain through a fine sieve into small heatproof bowl; cool 10 minutes.
2. Whisk egg yolks into vinegar mixture. Set bowl over small saucepan of simmering water; do not allow water to touch base of bowl. Whisk mixture over heat until thickened. Remove bowl from heat; gradually whisk in melted butter in a thin steady stream, whisking constantly until sauce is thick and creamy.
3. POACH EGGS: To poach eggs, half-fill a large shallow frying pan with water; bring to the boil. Break 1 egg into a cup, then slide into pan; repeat with three more eggs.
4. When all eggs are in pan, allow water to return to the boil. Cover pan, turn off heat; stand about 4 minutes or until a light film of egg white sets over yolks. Remove the egg with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper; cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining eggs.
5. Meanwhile, split muffins in half and toast. Serve muffins topped with ham, poached eggs, sauce and chives.