Eggplant and pesto baked pasta
4 stars - based on 1 reviews
Photography: Brett Stevens/Styling: Yael Grinham
- 500g packet small pasta (such as spirals, macaroni or mini penne)
- 2 large (300g) zucchini, grated coarsely
- ¾ cup (200g) prepared pesto
- 2 large (1kg) eggplants, sliced thinly lengthways
- ¾ cup (180ml) olive oil
- 2 cups (200g) grated mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup (20g) freshly grated parmesan
- 500g cherry tomatoes, halved
Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender;
drain. Combine the pasta with zucchini and pesto; mix well.
Meanwhile, brush both sides of the eggplant slices with oil. Cook the eggplant
in batches in a large non-stick frying pan until browned on both sides; drain on
Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced).
Spoon pasta into a shallow ovenproof dish (4-litre/16-cup capacity). Top with
the eggplant, overlapping the slices. Sprinkle eggplant with the 2 cheeses
and top with tomatoes, cut-side up.
Bake, uncovered, for about 45 minutes or until heated through and cheese is lightly browned; cover with foil if over-browning