The best pop-up dining in AustraliaTaking place in city laneways and beachside locations across Australia, the cool crowd can't get enough of the food and drink pop-up phenomenon. Now you can stay one step ahead of the culinary curve...
Quail with cherriesHere's an interesting fact: "quail" is actually the name for dozens of different species of birds as opposed to just one. I did not previously know that. I was surprised to find this out but then...
Beetroot and feta salad with crispy sageThere are few things more satisfying than getting your hands stained a bright fuchsia by the common garden beet. Almost every country in the world has their very own recipe for this earthy vegetable...
Little Christmas puddings
- 11/4 cups (200g) sultanas
- 11/3 cups (200g) raisins
- 2/3 cup (100g) mixed peel
- 3/4 cup (100g) dried cranberries
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 250g butter, chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 1/3 cup (80ml) orange juice
- 11/3 cups (330ml) Guinness
- 3/4 cup (110g) self-raising flour
- 21/2 cups (175g) stale breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 large (200g) green apple, peeled, grated
- 3 eggs, beaten lightly
- 1/2 cup (125ml) brandy
1. Combine the dried fruit, sugar, butter, rinds, juices and Guinness in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH (100%) for about 4 minutes or until the butter is melted and the liquid is hot. Cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease 8 x 3/4-cup (180ml) ovenproof dishes.
3. Stir flour, breadcrumbs, spice and apple into fruit mixture, then stir in eggs and brandy until combined. Spoon the mixture into the prepared dishes. Cover each dish with a piece of baking paper, then 2 sheets of foil. Secure with string. Fold foil up over string to ensure it doesn't touch the water during cooking.
4. Place the dishes in a large baking dish. Pour enough boiling water into the baking dish to come halfway up the side of the dishes. Bake for 3 hours. Turn the oven off; leave the puddings to stand in the oven for 15 minutes. Turn the puddings out.
5. Serve the puddings hot with Brandy Butter and Brandy Sauce (see recipes, left).
Suitable to freeze. Fruit mixture suitable to microwave.