Sugary drinks increase stroke risk: studyDrinking two glasses of cordial or soft drink a day could increases your risk of stroke by 20 percent, according to Swedish researchers.
It's official: The world's best margherita pizza is made in MelbourneForget flying to Italy for a perfect margherita pizza – you just need to get to Brunswick, north of Melbourne, for a slice of the world's greatest cheesy goodness.
Apple crumble biscuitsThese Apple crumble biscuits hark back to that time, but without the mouth cloying effects. They are buttery and sweet and can be made relatively quickly – certainly as quick as a 1970s packet...
Little Christmas puddings
- 11/4 cups (200g) sultanas
- 11/3 cups (200g) raisins
- 2/3 cup (100g) mixed peel
- 3/4 cup (100g) dried cranberries
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 250g butter, chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 1/3 cup (80ml) orange juice
- 11/3 cups (330ml) Guinness
- 3/4 cup (110g) self-raising flour
- 21/2 cups (175g) stale breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 large (200g) green apple, peeled, grated
- 3 eggs, beaten lightly
- 1/2 cup (125ml) brandy
1. Combine the dried fruit, sugar, butter, rinds, juices and Guinness in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH (100%) for about 4 minutes or until the butter is melted and the liquid is hot. Cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease 8 x 3/4-cup (180ml) ovenproof dishes.
3. Stir flour, breadcrumbs, spice and apple into fruit mixture, then stir in eggs and brandy until combined. Spoon the mixture into the prepared dishes. Cover each dish with a piece of baking paper, then 2 sheets of foil. Secure with string. Fold foil up over string to ensure it doesn't touch the water during cooking.
4. Place the dishes in a large baking dish. Pour enough boiling water into the baking dish to come halfway up the side of the dishes. Bake for 3 hours. Turn the oven off; leave the puddings to stand in the oven for 15 minutes. Turn the puddings out.
5. Serve the puddings hot with Brandy Butter and Brandy Sauce (see recipes, left).
Suitable to freeze. Fruit mixture suitable to microwave.