Some brains hard-wired to love chocolateWondering why you can't say no to a slice of mud cake, but your friend can easily pass? It could be to do with how your brain is wired.
Canned Xmas dinner most depressing thing everA UK company has put out the ultimate single-serving meal for those who prefer to spend the festive season alone – an entire Christmas dinner with both sweet and savoury layer in a tin.
Spiced eggplant saladUsing the same principles as tofu, I have decided to embrace the eggplant and douse it in as many flavour-rich ingredients as I can.
Little Christmas puddings
- 11/4 cups (200g) sultanas
- 11/3 cups (200g) raisins
- 2/3 cup (100g) mixed peel
- 3/4 cup (100g) dried cranberries
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 250g butter, chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 1/3 cup (80ml) orange juice
- 11/3 cups (330ml) Guinness
- 3/4 cup (110g) self-raising flour
- 21/2 cups (175g) stale breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 large (200g) green apple, peeled, grated
- 3 eggs, beaten lightly
- 1/2 cup (125ml) brandy
1. Combine the dried fruit, sugar, butter, rinds, juices and Guinness in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH (100%) for about 4 minutes or until the butter is melted and the liquid is hot. Cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease 8 x 3/4-cup (180ml) ovenproof dishes.
3. Stir flour, breadcrumbs, spice and apple into fruit mixture, then stir in eggs and brandy until combined. Spoon the mixture into the prepared dishes. Cover each dish with a piece of baking paper, then 2 sheets of foil. Secure with string. Fold foil up over string to ensure it doesn't touch the water during cooking.
4. Place the dishes in a large baking dish. Pour enough boiling water into the baking dish to come halfway up the side of the dishes. Bake for 3 hours. Turn the oven off; leave the puddings to stand in the oven for 15 minutes. Turn the puddings out.
5. Serve the puddings hot with Brandy Butter and Brandy Sauce (see recipes, left).
Suitable to freeze. Fruit mixture suitable to microwave.