Bring back the quintessential Aussie burgerYou may have noticed that as the years go by, food is changing. The advent of processed food has only been around for roughly 75 years a mere speck of sand in the hourglass of food history....
Chocolate, coconut and banana breadGood old, ubiquitous banana bread. It's on every cafe menu from Toorak to Townsville and like most popular items, you can get some stellar ones and some truly diabolical ones. The price too, isn't...
Authentic fried riceI'm going to attempt to unravel the myth of cooking fried rice for you. Because we all know that the fried rice you get from the local take away can never be recreated at home. Or can it?
Little Christmas puddings
- 11/4 cups (200g) sultanas
- 11/3 cups (200g) raisins
- 2/3 cup (100g) mixed peel
- 3/4 cup (100g) dried cranberries
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 250g butter, chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 1/3 cup (80ml) orange juice
- 11/3 cups (330ml) Guinness
- 3/4 cup (110g) self-raising flour
- 21/2 cups (175g) stale breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 large (200g) green apple, peeled, grated
- 3 eggs, beaten lightly
- 1/2 cup (125ml) brandy
1. Combine the dried fruit, sugar, butter, rinds, juices and Guinness in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH (100%) for about 4 minutes or until the butter is melted and the liquid is hot. Cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease 8 x 3/4-cup (180ml) ovenproof dishes.
3. Stir flour, breadcrumbs, spice and apple into fruit mixture, then stir in eggs and brandy until combined. Spoon the mixture into the prepared dishes. Cover each dish with a piece of baking paper, then 2 sheets of foil. Secure with string. Fold foil up over string to ensure it doesn't touch the water during cooking.
4. Place the dishes in a large baking dish. Pour enough boiling water into the baking dish to come halfway up the side of the dishes. Bake for 3 hours. Turn the oven off; leave the puddings to stand in the oven for 15 minutes. Turn the puddings out.
5. Serve the puddings hot with Brandy Butter and Brandy Sauce (see recipes, left).
Suitable to freeze. Fruit mixture suitable to microwave.