Greek-style baked lamb with feta
3 stars - based on 4 reviews
- 1.5kg lamb shoulder, on the bone
- 6 garlic cloves (3 sliced, 3 crushed)
- ½ cup roughly chopped oregano
- ½ cup olive oil
- finely grated zest and juice 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon dried mint
- 200g feta
- lemon cheeks, to serve
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 4 baby cucumbers, cut into chunks
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- cup mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Using a small sharp knife, make small incisions in lamb, stuffing with sliced garlic.
- In a large bowl, combine oregano, oil, zest, juice, mint and crushed garlic. Coat lamb in marinade mixture. Cover and chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to moderately slow, 160°C. Line roasting pan with baking paper. Transfer lamb to pan and cover with foil. Bake 3 hours. Remove foil. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes.
- Crumble feta over lamb. Return to oven further 25-30 minutes, until feta is golden. Cover loosely with foil and rest 15 minutes before carving.
- SALAD: In a salad bowl, toss all ingredients together. Season to taste.
- Serve lamb slices with salad and lemon.
- To add further flavour, dress salad with a drizzle of red-wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar.
- Any cold leftovers are delicious in salads or sandwiches.