Sardine and chilli fettuccine with pine nuts and lemon
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
- 50 gm pine nuts
- ½ cup each coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley and oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- 12 marinated butterflied sardines, coarsely torn (see note)
- Finely grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
- 400 gm dried fettuccine
Prep time 15 mins, cook 10 mins (plus cooling)
Heat half the oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, add pine nuts and sauté until golden (2-3 minutes). Strain through a metal sieve (reserve oil). Place in a bowl and set aside to cool, then add herbs.
Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add garlic and chilli, sauté until fragrant and golden (1 minute), then add sardines and stir to warm through. Remove from heat, add lemon rind, juice, reserved oil and half the pine nut mixture, season to taste, set aside.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente (6-8 minutes). Drain, reserving 60ml cooking water. Return pasta and reserved cooking water to pan. Add sardine mixture, tossing to break up sardines. Serve hot, scattered with remaining pine nut mixture.