Lemon coconut slice
5 stars - based on 1 reviews
- ¾ cup (60g) desiccated coconut
- ¼ cup (60ml) boiling water
- 1 1/3 cups (200g) plain flour
- ¼ cup (40g) icing sugar
- 150g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (220g) sugar
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup (125ml) lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- ¼ cup (35g) plain flour
- pared lemon rind and whipped cream for serving (optional)
1. Place coconut in a small bowl and stir in boiling water. Leave to stand for 30 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed. Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan. Line base and sides of a 18cm x 27cm slice pan with baking paper.
2. Sift flour and icing sugar into a bowl. Add butter and rub into flour with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press mixture into prepare pan and 15mm up sides of pan. Bake for 20 minutes until golden. Set aside to cool slightly. Reduce oven to 170°C or 150°C fan.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar together until pale. Fold in coconut, lemon rind and juice. Add flour and stir until well mixed.
4. Pour over pastry and bake for 30-35 minutes, until set. Cool completely in pan before slicing. Serve if you like, decorated with lemon rind and finished with a dollop of cream.