Edible billboard touts virtue of cakeWe didn't need an ad to tell us "life is better with cake" but one artist's edible advertisement has convinced us marketing goes better with food.
Hummingbird porridgeNo-one will ever make porridge like my dad used to make it. I can't put my finger on it and goodness knows I have tried but since he joined the big butcher shop in the sky in the early '80s, I have...
Almond gazpacho with blue swimmer crab and grapesI recently spent some time in the wilds of Kangaroo Island, South Australia and given that it was the tail end of winter, the last thing I thought I would be eating is a beautifully smooth chilled...
Lime and coconut sponge pudding
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 50g butter, melted
- Grated zest of 1 large lime
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 eggs, separated
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- ¾ cup milk
- Toasted coconut and extra lime zest, to garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 160°C/140°C fan-forced. Combine sugar and flour in a mixing bowl. Stir in butter, lime zest and juice. Combine egg yolks, coconut milk and milk; stir into dry mixture.
2. Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt, using an electric mixer, until stiff and moist. Lightly fold whites through batter until no streaks remain. Divide mixture between 4 x 1 cup ovenproof bowls.
3. Place bowls in a baking dish. Fill dish with 2.5cm hot water. Bake for 20 minutes. Increase oven to 190°C/170°C fan-forced. Bake 10 minutes until tops are well-browned and springy to touch. Serve warm with coconut and zest if you like.
TIPS: This pudding separates into two luscious layers – a saucy pudding beneath a light sponge.