Fruit and veg countdown to health and happinessIf you're confused about how much fruit and veg you should have in your diet, you've got good reason to be. There's plenty of professional advice out there and the advice is being applied to not just...
Sandwiches surprise major source of dietary saltIn something of a health warning for sanger lovers Down Under, US researchers have found Americans get as much as 46 percent of their recommended dietary intake of salt in sandwiches daily.
Juices with more sugar than Red Bull revealedJuice drinkers, if you think you're quenching your thirst with a healthy alternative to soft drink, prepare yourself for a sugary shock. Our survey of drinks confirms earlier research that some...
Mushroom and cheese pizza
Photography: Joshua Dasey
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 180g tub bocconcini, drained, sliced
- 2 cups sliced or whole mixed mushrooms, such as swiss brown, shiitake, enoki
- Pizza Dough
- 2 cups (300g) flour, sifted
- 1 sachet (7g) active dried yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) warm water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
1. To make Pizza Dough, combine flour, yeast, sugar and 1 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Stir in combined water and half of oil. Stir with a wooden spoon until dough becomes too firm to stir. Using hands, continue working to make a ball of dough then turn out onto a floured surface. Knead dough with hands until smooth and elastic. Coat a large bowl with remaining oil and add dough, turning to grease all over. Cover with plastic wrap and a clean tea towel. Leave in a warm place for 1 hour, until mixture doubles in size.
2. Preheat oven to 240°C or 220°C fan. Preheat two pizza stones, or grease two pizza pans or baking trays. Knock down dough and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead very lightly. Halve dough and pat out each half to a 30cm round. Place on stones, pans or trays and gently press, pat and push dough outwards until it reaches edges, forming a thick rim.
3. Top with garlic, bocconcini and mushrooms. Drizzle a little olive oil and season to taste. Bake for 15 minutes, until cheese is bubbling and edges are golden brown. Serve.
Tip 1:This can be served warm or cold and makes a lovely dish for buffets and picnics, along with a crisp green salad. It may be prepared several hours ahead and then baked as required.