Edible billboard touts virtue of cakeWe didn't need an ad to tell us "life is better with cake" but one artist's edible advertisement has convinced us marketing goes better with food.
Hummingbird porridgeNo-one will ever make porridge like my dad used to make it. I can't put my finger on it and goodness knows I have tried but since he joined the big butcher shop in the sky in the early '80s, I have...
Almond gazpacho with blue swimmer crab and grapesI recently spent some time in the wilds of Kangaroo Island, South Australia and given that it was the tail end of winter, the last thing I thought I would be eating is a beautifully smooth chilled...
Fluffy cheese and mushroom omelette
4 stars - based on 15 reviews
- 8 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk or water
- 40g butter
- 250g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 eschallot, finely chopped
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
- 50g ham slices, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- toast, to serve
- In a large jug, whisk eggs and milk or water together. Season to taste.
- Melt half butter in an 18cm frying pan on medium heat. Saute mushrooms and eschallot for 3-4 minutes, until golden. Transfer to a bowl with cheese and ham. Set aside.
- Wipe out pan. Melt 1 teaspoon remaining butter in same pan on medium until foaming. Add quarter egg mixture, tilting to coat base. Using a spatula, gently draw cooked egg to centre, allowing uncooked egg to run underneath.
- When almost set, top evenly with quarter mushroom mixture. Fold over and cook 1 minute. Slide onto serving plate. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Sprinkle omelettes with parsley, serve with toast.
- Have everything prepared in advance and cook omelettes when ready to eat.