Things that surprised us about coffee more than caffeine itselfIf there's one day of the year you'd struggle to get through without a mug of coffee, it's International Coffee Day. That day is today, even in a couple of countries that tried to ban it three or...
Edible billboard touts virtue of cakeWe didn't need an ad to tell us "life is better with cake" but one artist's edible advertisement has convinced us marketing goes better with food.
Hummingbird porridgeNo-one will ever make porridge like my dad used to make it. I can't put my finger on it and goodness knows I have tried but since he joined the big butcher shop in the sky in the early '80s, I have...
Warm octopus and olive salad
- 1kg cleaned baby octopus
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 small (50g) red onion, chopped finely
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (75g) seeded black olives
- 90g mesclun
- 125g grape tomatoes, halved
1. Place the octopus in a medium heatproof bowl. Pour boiling water over octopus to cover; stand for 2 minutes, drain. Combine octopus in a large bowl with garlic, parsley, oregano, onion, bay leaves, oil, rind and juice. Cover, refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Cook the olives on a heated oiled barbecue plate (or grill or grill pan) until hot. Transfer to a medium bowl with the mesclun and tomatoes; toss gently.
3. Cook octopus on a heated oiled barbecue plate; add to salad. Serve with lemon wedges.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave.