Some brains hard-wired to love chocolateWondering why you can't say no to a slice of mud cake, but your friend can easily pass? It could be to do with how your brain is wired.
Canned Xmas dinner most depressing thing everA UK company has put out the ultimate single-serving meal for those who prefer to spend the festive season alone – an entire Christmas dinner with both sweet and savoury layer in a tin.
Spiced eggplant saladUsing the same principles as tofu, I have decided to embrace the eggplant and douse it in as many flavour-rich ingredients as I can.
Warm octopus and olive salad
- 1kg cleaned baby octopus
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 small (50g) red onion, chopped finely
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (75g) seeded black olives
- 90g mesclun
- 125g grape tomatoes, halved
1. Place the octopus in a medium heatproof bowl. Pour boiling water over octopus to cover; stand for 2 minutes, drain. Combine octopus in a large bowl with garlic, parsley, oregano, onion, bay leaves, oil, rind and juice. Cover, refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Cook the olives on a heated oiled barbecue plate (or grill or grill pan) until hot. Transfer to a medium bowl with the mesclun and tomatoes; toss gently.
3. Cook octopus on a heated oiled barbecue plate; add to salad. Serve with lemon wedges.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave.