Entertain with ease this ChristmasAldi Christmas
The night before ChristmasChristmas at Aldi
Your perfect Christmas hamperChristmas at Aldi
Roasted pork belly with plum sauce
- 800g boned pork belly, rind-on
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1½ cups (375ml) chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ¼ cup (60ml) chinese cooking wine
- ¼ cup (55g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 3cm piece fresh ginger (15g), sliced thinly
- 1 cinnamon stick, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1/3 cup (80ml) orange juice
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 4 plums (450g), cut into eight wedges
- CUCUMBER SALAD
- 1 lebanese cucumber (130g)
- 1 long green chilli, sliced thinly
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
Preheat oven to moderate (180°C/160°C fan-forced).
Place pork on board, rind-side up. Using sharp knife, score rind by making shallow cuts diagonally in both directions at 3cm intervals; rub combined salt and oil into cuts.
Combine the water, stock, sauce, wine, sugar, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, chilli, juice, cloves and fennel in large shallow baking dish. Place pork in dish, rind-side up; roast, uncovered, 1 hour 20 minutes. Increase oven temperature to very hot (240°C/220°C fan-forced). Roast pork, uncovered, further 15 minutes or until crackling is crisp.
Remove pork from dish; cover to keep warm. Strain liquid in baking dish into medium saucepan, skim away surface fat; bring to a boil. Add plum, reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until plum sauce thickens.
Meanwhile, make cucumber salad.
Serve thickly sliced pork with plum sauce and salad.
Using vegetable peeler, cut cucumber lengthways into ribbons. Place cucumber in large bowl with remaining ingredients; toss gently to combine.