How NASA helped deliver the perfect toasted cheese sandwichThe only thing better than a piping hot toasted cheese sandwich is a piping hot toasted cheese sandwich brought right to you. Problem is, by the time it's delivered it's usually cold, soggy and...
Al dente: Cook your pasta like the Italians doItalians eat their pasta al dente, which means a little hard on the tooth, this is important because it keeps the pasta at an appropriate texture. Pasta cooked al dente will taste great and not be...
Australian dieticians reject paleo diet as 'suspicious, impractical'While "paleo" remains a bit of a buzzword in foodie culture, the Dietitians Association of Australia has joined the ranks of professionals opposed to the diet saying the scientific evidence doesn't...
Crisp pork belly & lemon rice with broadbeans
5 stars - based on 1 reviews
Recipe by Loukie Werle. Photography William Meppem. Styling Kirsty Cassidy.
- Rock salt, to rub
- 2kg pork belly (ask butcher to score skin)
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- ½ cup (125ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 200ml dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1½ cups (300g) basmati rice
- 200g fresh or frozen broadbeans
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 bunches green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch coriander, leaves chopped
1. Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan).
2. Rub a handful of rock salt into skin of pork. Stand for 30 minutes. Wipe off excess, then rub in garlic and cumin. Pour 2 tablespoons of oil into a roasting pan. Add pork, skin-side up. Roast for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 150°C (130°C fan) and cook for 2½ hours. Place under grill if crackling is not crisp. Rest pork on a wire rack to drain.
3. Leave all but 2 tablespoons of fat in pan. Place over medium-low heat. Stir in sherry and thyme, cook for a few minutes, scraping up any browned residue. Cut pork into cubes.
4. Cook rice, drain and toss with a little oil. Add broadbeans to a pot of salted, boiling water. When water returns to a boil, drain and rinse.
5. Combine rice, broadbeans, remaining oil, juice, green onion and coriander. Transfer to a serving plate and top with pork.