Taramasalata with prawn crackers
- 45 gm crustless white bread
- 60 gm tarama paste (see note)
- 1 1/2 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 30 ml lemon juice
- 330 ml olive oil
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- 24 prawn crackers (see note)
- To serve: extra-virgin olive oil and Cypriot black sea salt (see note)
Prep time 15 mins, cook 10 mins (plus soaking)
Combine bread in a bowl with enough cold water to cover and stand until soft (2-3 minutes), then squeeze excess water from bread and transfer to a food processor. Add tarama paste, onion and lemon juice and process until smooth. With motor running, add olive oil in a thin steady stream and process until smooth and emulsified. Refrigerate until required.
Heat vegetable oil in a deep saucepan or deep-fryer to 180C. Deep-fry prawn crackers in batches until crisp (2-3 minutes; be careful as hot oil will spit), drain on absorbent paper and cool to room temperature. Serve with taramasalata drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil and scattered with Cypriot black sea salt.