Quail with cherriesHere's an interesting fact: "quail" is actually the name for dozens of different species of birds as opposed to just one. I did not previously know that. I was surprised to find this out but then...
Beetroot and feta salad with crispy sageThere are few things more satisfying than getting your hands stained a bright fuchsia by the common garden beet. Almost every country in the world has their very own recipe for this earthy vegetable...
Kuku sabzi, the Persian omeletteThank the world that Middle Eastern food is starting to push its way in front of the monotonous burger and chicken wing takeaways that occupy every main street in the land. I'm not talking about...
Chickpea, beetroot and pumpkin salad
5 stars - based on 2 reviews
Photography: Richard Mortimer
- 600g beetroot, trimmed, cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g pumpkin, peeled, cut into wedges
- 400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- ¼ cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic dressing (see tip)
- 150g baby spinach leaves
- 110g goat's cheese, crumbled, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 200° C.
2. Combine beetroot, oil and garlic in a large baking dish. Season to taste. Bake for 10 minutes. Place pumpkin in same baking dish, away from beetroot. Bake for another 20 minutes.
3. Combine chickpeas, oil and white balsamic dressing in a jug.
4. Place beetroot, pumpkin, chickpea mixture and spinach in a bowl and toss gently. Serve topped with goat's cheese.
Tip: Eat up brightly coloured vegetables such as beetroot and pumpkin are packed with beneficial antioxidants. White balsamic dressing is available from the vinegar section of Coles supermarkets.