Thai-style pumpkin soup
4 stars - based on 1 reviews
- 60g butter, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 600g pumpkin, peeled, chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 lemongrass stem, bruised
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- 2-3 coriander roots, washed, chopped
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 100g rice stick noodles
- fish sauce, brown sugar, to taste
- (about 1-2 tablespoons of each)
- beansprouts, sliced red chilli,
- coriander leaves, to serve
- Heat butter in a large saucepan on medium. Saute onion, ginger and garlic 2-3 minutes, until tender.
- Add pumpkin, stock, lemongrass, chilli and coriander to pan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes, until pumpkin is very tender.
- Discard lemongrass. Use a hand blender or food processor to puree soup until smooth.
- Return to clean saucepan with coconut milk. Bring to boil on high. Add rice noodles. Simmer 2-3 minutes, until noodles are tender.
- Season to taste with fish sauce and brown sugar. Serve garnished with beansprouts, sliced red chilli and coriander leaves.