3 stars - based on 10 reviews
- 500g potatoes, peeled, halved
- 30g butter
- ¼ cup (60ml) hot milk
- 210g can pink or red salmon, drained, bones and skin removed
- ¼ cup (20g) grated parmesan
- ¼ cup (35g) plain flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup (50g) dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salad, lemon wedges, to serve
1. Cook potato in a saucepan of boiling water for 15 minutes, until tender. Drain, return to pan and place on low heat for 2 minutes, until potato is thoroughly dry. Remove from heat and mash lightly with a fork. Add butter and hot milk, beating until very smooth. Set aside to cool completely.
2. Flake salmon into a bowl. Add mashed potato and parmesan. Season to taste and mix well to combine. Divide salmon mixture into eight patties. Dust with flour, brush with beaten egg and coat with breadcrumbs. Place on a tray and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan on medium. Cook patties for 3-5 minutes each side, until golden. Serve with salad and lemon wedges.
Tip: Fish cakes with a crispy coating of breadcrumbs is a great family favourite. Canned pink salmon is ideal for fish cakes, as it is economical and the flavour is good. Red salmon is even better.
For deluxe fish cakes, increase the salmon to two 210g cans. The second can makes a richer fish cake it's all a matter of taste.