Organic beef sausages with black cabbage and tomato ragu
- 4 large potatoes
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 8 thick beef and thyme sausages
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, sliced thinly
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, cored, sliced thickly
- A good splash of red wine
- 1 spoonful rice or agave syrup
- 425g can diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- ½ bunch black cabbage (also called Tuscan cabbage or cavolo nero), shredded
- Sour cream or butter, to serve
- NOTE: all ingredients used were organic
Preheat oven to 180°C. Wash potatoes and rub with salt. Bake in preheated oven for approximately 1 hour until a skewer passes through easily, or until the potatoes are soft when squeezed.
Meanwhile, brush sausages with a little of the oil and prick all over with the tip of a sharp knife. Cook on a grill plate, turning regularly, until well browned and cooked as desired.
Heat the remaining oil in a large frypan and cook onions and garlic until softened, tender and starting to caramelise. Add fresh tomatoes and cook, turning once, for 2-3 minutes until they are starting to soften.
Add wine and simmer, scraping the caramelised bits of onion off the bottom of the pan.
Add syrup and canned tomatoes. Season and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce has reduced slightly and thickened.
Stir cabbage into the sauce and simmer until wilted.
Split potatoes and add a dollop of sour cream or butter.
Serve two sausages per person with a large serve of black cabbage and tomato and ragu and a baked potato.