- 375g linguine or thin spaghetti
- 1.5kg fresh clams
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 cup fresh soft Italian-style breadcrumbs
- ¼ teaspoon dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup baby capers, drained
- 3-4 green onions, thinly sliced diagonally
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
1. Cook pasta in plenty of boiling, salted water until tender but still firm to the bite. Drain, reserving ½ cup cooking water.
2. Meanwhile, heat ½ cup tap water in a large frying pan over moderate heat. Add clams; cook, transferring them to a bowl using tongs as shells open. Strain juice, reserving ½ cup liquid.
3. Heat oil in clean frying pan. Cook garlic, crumbs and chilli for 3-4 minutes until crisp and golden.
4. Return pasta to saucepan; add reserved water and clam juice, lemon zest and lemon juice, capers, onion and dill. Toss well to combine. Add clams and crumbs; heat through and serve.
TIPS: Substitute black mussels or pipis for the clams, as you prefer.