Orange blossom doughnuts with peach and vanilla jamTrish Gallagher aka The Pink Leopard shares her recipe for Orange blossom doughnuts with peach and vanilla jam.
A daily cup of cocoa could ward off diabetes: expertsAdding cocoa powder to your diet could reduce inflammation, which is a known risk factor for diabetes, a US study suggests.
Easter cheese and spinach pie
Photography: Joshua Dasey
- 1kg silverbeet
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 200g fetta
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 green onions (shallots), finely chopped
- ½cup chopped parsley
- 13 sheets filo pastry (see tip)
- 90g butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
1. Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan. Lightly grease a 25cm-deep pie dish.
2. Cut tough white stalks from silverbeet. Rinse green leaves well and steam over a saucepan of simmering water for 3 minutes, until wilted. Drain well and chop finely. Drain in a colander, pressing well to remove any remaining moisture.
3. Heat oil in a frying pan on medium and cook onion for 3 minutes, stirring, until soft but not golden. Add silverbeet and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Season to taste and set aside to cool. Crumble fetta into a bowl and combine with egg, green onion and parsley. Stir in silverbeet mixture.
4. Brush a sheet of filo pastry with a little melted butter and line prepared dish. Top with six more sheets, brushing each with melted butter. Spread last layer with silverbeet mixture. Season with pepper and scatter with dill. Cover with remaining sheets of pastry, brushing each with butter as before. Press edges firmly together and trim excess pastry, using scissors. Brush top generously with butter. Bake for 1 hour, until pastry is golden. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Tip 1:Keep the sheets of filo pastry under a lightly dampened tea towel to prevent them drying out.
Tip 2: This was originally made with 33 sheets of pastry, one for each year of Christ's life. The Italians have a version which uses ricotta cheese and homemade pastry.