Spinach and cheese strata
- 1 loaf rodini bread
- 8 slices prosciutto or pancetta (or use shaved ham)
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup thickened cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 100g packet baby spinach
- 250g block vintage cheddar, grated
1. Cut bread into 1.5cm slices. Grease a 5cm-deep, 19x33cm (2 litre) baking dish. Line with half the bread. Heat a large frying pan over moderate heat. Cook prosciutto for 1-2 minutes each side. Cut in half lengthwise, then into small pieces.
2. Combine eggs, milk, cream, chives and pepper. Layer half the prosciutto, spinach and cheese over bread. Pour over half the egg mixture. Top with remaining bread, prosciutto, spinach, cheese and egg mixture. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
3. Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan forced. Remove strata from fridge and allow to reach room temperate. Bake 40-45 minutes until set and golden. Stand 5-10 minutes before cutting into slices to serve.