McDonald's burger served with hidden swastikaThere are a bunch of ways a visit to a fast-food restaurant can leave a bad taste in your mouth and race hate is now one of them. But rather than leave racist remarks on receipts a US McDonald's...
Cheeses saltier than seawater shamedA survey of salty cheeses has UK health groups comparing haloumi to seawater, in an effort to encourage the dairy industry to further reduce sodium content in their foods.
Man buys all the pies to spite unruly childA Canadian man has achieved restaurant hero status after telling his story about teaching a woman and her misbehaving child a lesson in fast-food etiquette. In this case, revenge is not a dish best...
Squid salad with baby beetroot
- 600g clean squid hoods
- 2 long red chillies, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- ½ chinese cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 420g can Golden Circle baby beetroot, quartered, drained
- 1 bunch radishes, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 150g snow peas, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 115g baby corn, halved, blanched
- spray oil
- SOY & HONEY DRESSING
- finely grated rind and juice 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 3 teaspoons finely grated ginger
1. Cut open squid hoods. Place flat on a board, outer-side down. Score the squid using a sharp knife, diagonally, in a crisscross pattern. Cut into 3cm pieces.
2. In a small bowl, combine squid with chilli, garlic, ginger and oil. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
3. SOY & HONEY DRESSING: Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk all ingredients together. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, combine cabbage, sprouts, beetroot, radishes, carrot, snow peas and corn. Toss well.
5. Spray a char-grill or barbecue with oil. Preheat on high. Chargrill squid for 2-3 minutes each side until golden and tender. Toss through salad. Drizzle with dressing. Serve immediately.Top tip
Drain beetroot well on paper towel before adding to salad. This will help to prevent "bleeding".More recipesPear and pistachio nut saladChicken and mango saladMish's lentil salad