Strawberry French macaroons
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar
- pink food colouring
- 2 large (70g) fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1 1/4 cups (200g) icing (confectioners’) sugar
- 1 cup (120g) ground almonds
- 1/3 cup (110g) strawberry jam
- 1 tablespoon icing (confectioners’) sugar, extra
1 Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F. Grease oven trays; line with baking paper.
2 Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add caster sugar and few drops food colouring, beat until sugar dissolves. Transfer mixture to large bowl.
3 Meanwhile, push fresh strawberries (or thawed frozen berries) through a fine sieve;
you need 1 tablespoon of strawberry puree.
4 Fold sifted icing sugar, ground almonds and strawberry puree into egg white mixture,
in two batches.
5 Spoon mixture into piping bag fitted with 1cm (1/2-inch)
plain tube. Pipe 4cm (11/2-inch) rounds about 2.5cm (1 inch) apart onto trays. Tap trays on bench so macaroons spread slightly. Stand 30 minutes.
6 Bake macaroons about 20 minutes. Cool on trays.
7 Sandwich macaroons with jam. Dust with extra sifted icing sugar.